Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert chem

Options
  • 19-09-2014 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Ive studied the mole in ty and found it easy so im wondering is the mole difficult or easy compared to the rest of the course? Does the maths in chemistry get any harder?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Conaaaa wrote: »
    Ive studied the mole in ty and found it easy so im wondering is the mole difficult or easy compared to the rest of the course? Does the maths in chemistry get any harder?!

The mole is part of Stoicheometry, spelled wrong I think but anyways. Its one of the hardest parts of the course, but once you learn the logic behind it every question is the same thing.

The maths in chemistry is very basic, learning a few numbers for stoicheometry and experiments, and knowing what to add, subtract, divide or multiply is as though as it gets, there are only a handful of maths formulas too

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Conaaaa

The mole is part of Stoicheometry, spelled wrong I think but anyways. Its one of the hardest parts of the course, but once you learn the logic behind it every question is the same thing.

The maths in chemistry is very basic, learning a few numbers for stoicheometry and experiments, and knowing what to add, subtract, divide or multiply is as though as it gets, there are only a handful of maths formulas too
    thanks! Is organic chemistry as bad as it sounds? I hear its like the plague

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Don't know I haven't studied it yet, I'm in LC now. My sister was the only one in her year to do it in 2013, and she got full mmarks because it was answered so badly in general.

She says its the most difficult part of the course, but if you're good at it then you shouldn't have an issue.

The chemistry course in general is quite short and there is a lot of repetition from year to year

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Ompala

Organic is lovely, once you become familiar with the different organic groups its fine, and imo the most interesting part of the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭yeahscience

The mathematical side of LC Chemistry doesn't use difficult processes (e.g. algebraic) to get the solution to a problem.

The initial difficulties you may encounter are not exclusive to Chemistry, it's just practice that you need, as with anything, to find that you can solve problems "in your sleep".

Understanding the question is the most important, the rest will come quite easily afterwards, depending on each individual's ability of course. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Conaaaa

The mathematical side of LC Chemistry doesn't use difficult processes (e.g. algebraic) to get the solution to a problem.

The initial difficulties you may encounter are not exclusive to Chemistry, it's just practice that you need, as with anything, to find that you can solve problems "in your sleep".

Understanding the question is the most important, the rest will come quite easily afterwards, depending on each individual's ability of course. :)

Thanks, can you pm me ive questions about lc chemistry course , i presume youve done it?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

I'm in sixth year now I got an A1 in my Summer exams but I think Chemistry is by far the hardest subject I do besides HL Maths. You'll have to put alot of work into it because there's zero work for bluffing or guessing an answer...

I think the maths is ok it can be quite challenging but after a while you'll get used to certain types of questions. As for the Organic section... I don't think it's 'lovely' at all, I think it's quite challenging and I'm always surprised to hear people say it's their favourite part!

Advertisement