Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Designing new security system product

Options
  • 19-09-2014 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi guys,
    I am a student in my final year of studying product design in DIT and I am looking into designing a domestic security product for my thesis. My idea is for a product which you can fit to all or selected doors in your home which would be wirelessly connected to your current alarm system. Once your alarm is triggered, it would shut and secure those doors in your home, greatly reducing the burglars freedom in your home. Any thoughts, opinions or comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Niall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

You could trigger an output from the panel to a relay to activate the door motorised doors.

You idea could potentially be a fire hazard by trapping people in if there was a fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭kub

It is almost always safety over security and in the real world the last thing any one sane would do would be to confine an intruder in their homes.
    God only knows what sort of damage the scum bag would cause also I trust these rooms have windows to the outside world.

Anyway the real world stuff of the product you have in mind are those interlocking doors which you go through when entering most bank branches these days, but these are designed for the damage that is liable to occur by a cornered rat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 niallh93

Thanks for the comments guys,
    In relation to having the intruder cornered, i am looking to design the system to allow for the original access point to the home to remain unlocked to allow for the intruder to escape. The last thing I want is to trap a burglar in the home, a desperate person can do desperate things to escape.

If such a system was designed, how willing would you be to install it in your home? Trying to get an idea of public opinion on this product if it was available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭kub

It all depends on how the intruder gained access, through a door would involve the installation of an electronic lock, ascetics will matter as it is someone's home so the lock would need to be something like an Abloy electronic lock which retail at approx € 1,000.

What do you reckon if it was a window or indeed through glass?

Then I suppose onto the internal doors these lock down in such an event, I suppose you could use those commercial magnetic type door hold units which hold doors in public areas open and in the event of a Fire activation the magnetic force is removed electronically and the doors close. However in your thesis the door has to be locked closed again probably by an Abloy type lock.

In all honesty and speaking as a professional security system installer, I do not see an appetite for such a system on the Irish market. I would however see demand for it in somewhere like South Africa.

• Advertisement

If the intruder broke a window to gain entry to a home then he can make his way back through it again in order to leave. I'm not too concerned about how pleasant his exit is. Thanks a million for the advice Kub, it was much appreciated. Perhaps I need to research other aspects of home security which could be developed upon. Can you identify from your professional experience any areas of the home or aspects of security systems which could do with innovation and development? It is an area I would very much like to improve as I have personally been the victim of burglars, as well as numerous people in my community. There just doesnt seem to be any form of protection which actively protects and defends your home once someone is in it, they have free reign.

Advertisement