Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with automatic watch

Options
  • 19-09-2014 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

i got myself a new seiko automatic watch and i'm having a problem with it. I know with automatics it is movement that powers them. When i got the watch i put it on and it ran fine. I wore it all day yesterday and even in bed last night. The problem is when i take it off it seems to go dead very quickly. Normally there is a bit of a power reserve but that doesnt seem to be the case with this one. Have i got a duff watch or does it jsut need longer to build up a power reserve? I've got a watch winder so if i stick it on that for a few days might that sort it out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭893bet

Manually wind the watch fully. Leave it somewhere safe and note the time and see how long it takes for it to go dead.

Then you will know what the power reserve is and can work from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

the watch doesnt have a manual wind. i'll stick it on the watch winder and see what happens. Since i started the thread it has decided to work again. ho hum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭893bet

Beano wrote: »
    the watch doesnt have a manual wind. i'll stick it on the watch winder and see what happens. Since i started the thread it has decided to work again. ho hum.

Are you sure? Most automatics can be manually wound aswell. Just unscrew crown and wind it up.

Either way if its fixed its fixed!

pretty sure it doesnt have a manual wind. Its one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002SSUQFG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

893bet wrote: »
    Are you sure? Most automatics can be manually wound aswell.
    A few can't and some Seiko models are among them. I know the vintage ones generally can't be handwound, though thought the more recent ones could.
    Just unscrew crown and wind it up.
    If it has a screwdown crown. Otherwise you could be winding for a while. :)
    Either way if its fixed its fixed!
    we'll all cross fingers. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭R1_Pete

Beano wrote: »
    i got myself a new seiko automatic watch and i'm having a problem with it. I know with automatics it is movement that powers them. When i got the watch i put it on and it ran fine. I wore it all day yesterday and even in bed last night. The problem is when i take it off it seems to go dead very quickly. Normally there is a bit of a power reserve but that doesnt seem to be the case with this one. Have i got a duff watch or does it jsut need longer to build up a power reserve? I've got a watch winder so if i stick it on that for a few days might that sort it out?

Does it have a chrono function?
    Ive a few automatics, and if you leave the Chrono running it uses the power reserve much quicker.

If you are having a problem with it let us know, I have a good guy who maintains my watches and he can test the timekeeping and power reserve.

Hope its fixed though

well its been running fine since i last posted. and i havent even been wearing it. I did notice that i hadnt pushed the crown in properly when i set the time. could be that be cause?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It could well be. Does the secondhand stop when you pull out the crown?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

R1_Pete wrote: »
    Does it have a chrono function?
    Ive a few automatics, and if you leave the Chrono running it uses the power reserve much quicker.

If you are having a problem with it let us know, I have a good guy who maintains my watches and he can test the timekeeping and power reserve.

Hope its fixed though

Are you sure about that, maybe on a quartz, but not on a mechanical?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭R1_Pete

hi5 wrote: »
    Are you sure about that, maybe on a quartz, but not on a mechanical?

Yes. The chrono in most designs draws power from the main spring via an escapement. By leaving the chrono run you increase the draw on power and deplete the reserve.

If I leave the chrono run on my Monaco it can be dead the next day. If the chrono is off it takes almost three days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Anjobe

That watch has a Seiko 7s26 movement. Its a tough old movement but a little rudimentary with no hacking or hand winding capability. It should have a power reserve of around 40 hours but it may never get fully wound on your wrist unless you are particularly active.

Anjobe wrote: »
    That watch has a Seiko 7s26 movement. Its a tough old movement but a little rudimentary with no hacking or hand winding capability. It should have a power reserve of around 40 hours but it may never get fully wound on your wrist unless you are particularly active.

yeah it seems to be fine now. probably just needed time to build up its reserve. I gave it a good shake earlier to help it along.

Advertisement