Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small quiet power supply advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Good luck finding a PSU that will fit. I think these PC's have a very restricted airflow, along with very tightly packed power components, so they need a fairly hi power fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

There,s a large heatsink on top of the graphics chip,and on top of the cpu,
    there,s a heatsink 3inch high, 4inch wide,
    and theres a large fan 3inch wide , right front of the cpu , which is silent .

The left side of the pc, in front of the psu,is almost empty, apart from 1 stick of 2gig ram.
    i,d be prepared to use an external psu, if it was very quiet.
    And leave the present psu ,disconnected .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Have you considered attempting to replace the noisy fan in the PSU with something quieter?

It might be possible .....

I can fix pc,s and build em,
    it never accured to me to replace the fan on a power supply.
    I,LL look it to it,
    its a psu designed for this pc,

ie not a standard square ,off the shelf pc power unit.

riclad wrote: »
    I can fix pc,s and build em,
    it never accured to me to replace the fan on a power supply.
    I,LL look it to it,
    its a psu designed for this pc,

ie not a standard square ,off the shelf pc power unit.

I understand that ....... if opening the PSU do be VERY careful as some of the capacitors can hold a charge for a long time.

If the fan is a standard size, which seems very likely to me, then it should be replaceable.

Was this PSU always noisy or did it gradually get worse?

Is it fan noise such as bearings, or is it noise from air-flow?

• Advertisement

Its noise from air flow, its a fast spinning fan.
    i just got pc last week.
    I presume its always been loud, its about 3 times louder than my other hp pc,dual core 2.5oghz.
    I ,ll look up replace fan on pc psu before i do anything,
    my friend fixes tvs, i know about capacitors holding a charge .
    This psu is a L shape , but i,ll try and get a square standard type, quiet psu ,
    even if i have to have it outside the pc case .
    or i,ll replace the fan . I,M not in a hurry ,i have a laptop to use for web acess.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you were to add a larger fan as an extractor on the rear of the case you might be able to disconnect its own fan without it overheating.

riclad wrote: »
    Its noise from air flow, its a fast spinning fan.
    i just got pc last week.
    I presume its always been loud, its about 3 times louder than my other hp pc,dual core 2.5oghz.
    I ,ll look up replace fan on pc psu before i do anything,
    my friend fixes tvs, i know about capacitors holding a charge .
    This psu is a L shape , but i,ll try and get a square standard type, quiet psu ,
    even if i have to have it outside the pc case .
    or i,ll replace the fan . I,M not in a hurry ,i have a laptop to use for web acess.

If it is air-flow noise then there is little to be done, I believe, other than replacing the PSU.

There are very quiet standard PSUs available if you can somehow manage to use one.
    It might get rather messy though attaching it to the PC and bringing the wires inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

ED E wrote: »
    If you were to add a larger fan as an extractor on the rear of the case you might be able to disconnect its own fan without it overheating.

that's actually not a bad idea. you could remove the old fan entirely and mount a larger, quieter fan outside of the case on the back to get yourself some decent airflow.

i imagine that the fan is noisy because it is a) old and wore out, and b) probably not very big which usually means they give off quite a high pitched whine and run at a high rpm to get the air through.

Can you recommend any shop in dublin that sells quiet psu,s ,
    brick and mortar store .
    There,s no whine, its just the speed of the fan, i think.
    The Fan in the front for the cpu, is the same size, but its very quiet.

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    that's actually not a bad idea. you could remove the old fan entirely and mount a larger, quieter fan outside of the case on the back to get yourself some decent airflow.

i imagine that the fan is noisy because it is a) old and wore out, and b) probably not very big which usually means they give off quite a high pitched whine and run at a high rpm to get the air through.

Any external fan would have to draw air out through the PSU, not directly from the case, as the PSU is cooled by its noisy fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Any external fan would have to draw air out through the PSU, not directly from the case, as the PSU is cooled by its noisy fan.
    that's exactly my point.

there's only two fans in the case, one at the front bringing air in and the one pulling air through the psu and out the back of the case.

as long as the fan is mounted externally in such a way that it is sealed to the back vent on the PSU, it will do the same job as the internal fan was. personally, I'd open it up and remove the old fan so it doesn't restrict airflow, but the usual warnings about capacitors holding a charge still apply.

vibe666 wrote: »
    that's exactly my point.

there's only two fans in the case, one at the front bringing air in and the one pulling air through the psu and out the back of the case.

as long as the fan is mounted externally in such a way that it is sealed to the back vent on the PSU, it will do the same job as the internal fan was. personally, I'd open it up and remove the old fan so it doesn't restrict airflow, but the usual warnings about capacitors holding a charge still apply.

Yes I agree ...... but I would be inclined first to test another fan in the PSU if possible.
    The noise just might be caused by fan bearings or something physical.

I have 2 fans in my hp pc,
    one for the cpu ,ontop of a large heatsink.
    IT has a 1 300 watt psu, and its very quiet ,
    just a standard pc psu .
    The small pc makes alot more noise .

Advertisement