Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i7 or i5

Options
  • 19-09-2014 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I was thinking of upgrading my PC, I have now an i7 (4 years old) so I guess it's 1st gen. i7 ?

Anyway 4th/5th gen i7 are very expensive, so is a 4th gen i5 better then a 1st gen i7 ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Wouldn't be worth it in my opinion. first gen i7 is still really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

What graphics card you have? You'll need a new mother board (80 to 110 euro depending on whether you overclock).

Personally I woukd recommend overclocking your i7, you should get some more life out of it.

What graphics card you have? You'll need a new mother board (80 to 110 euro depending on whether you overclock).

Personally I woukd recommend overclocking your i7, you should get some more life out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Gumbi wrote: »

Problem is my i7 seems to be really overheating at the moment , also it's 2.5 ghz or so and te i5 I'm looking at is almost 4 ...

the_monkey wrote: »
    Problem is my i7 seems to be really overheating at the moment , also it's 2.5 ghz or so and te i5 I'm looking at is almost 4 ...

Seems to be overheating? What does that mean? Make sure you have good airflow and your case and fans are free of dust.

Download core temp and read the speed of your chip. Load the chip by playing a game to see how high the speed gets. And note the temperatures reached after some time of gaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

This can be fixed without upgrading your cpu..

New cooler , and remounting the CPU , making sure theres proper airflow in the case will fix it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Gumbi wrote: »
    Seems to be overheating? What does that mean? Make sure you have good airflow and your case and fans are free of dust.

Download core temp and read the speed of your chip. Load the chip by playing a game to see how high the speed gets. And note the temperatures reached after some time of gaming.

Literally it's on 99c as soon as I switch it on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Literally it's on 99c as soon as I switch it on
    Thats not good. Im assuming all your fans are working fine. If you are using the stock cooler, sometimes the push pins holding the cooler on can come loose and contact with the heatsink can be reduced. or non existent. check this.

Get a can of compressed air (dealz used to have them for €1.50, get a few) and clean out the heatsink and fans (cotton buds and kitchen paper can be handy on the fans if there is a lot of build up). If there is still a problem remove the cooler, and clean off the thermal paste, reapply thermal paste and reseat the cooler.

Also check the bios settings, just incase there is something funny with the voltage etc. which is causing excess heat.

Advertisement