Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when's it time to say no to the Dublin Marathon

Options
  • 19-09-2014 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi

I have signed up to the Dublin Marathon and eveything has being going well until last week when i woke up and got out of bed and had a really bad pain in the base of my foot. It turns out that it is the dreaded Planter Facsistis.

I went to a physio and have gone to him 3 times now, and it is improving, but i am still not back running. Done a few water resistent training and cycling to keep the muscles moving
    My previous run before the injury was 20 miles and the night before the injury was a 10 mile run with no problems.
    Its very frustrating as i have being doing the correct training and everything was going well.

I know it is a question that the phsio will probably put to me on Monday..is it worth doing the marathon.
    My goal time is realistically gone now, as even if i go back early next week, i will struggle to get back up to 20 miles,not worried too much on that but i am not giving up on the race. If i do go back, i will reconfigure me time expectation and training so as not to have a dnf next to my name. Its a race i have being trying to do for 3 years and always seem to get injured in august or september. I did the limerick marathon in May and did 3:26 and that was run as a stepping stone to Dublin and have run a few half marathons in the last few weeks with good times.
    Walking is improving, but not sure if i am going to be ready in time, i know its the million dallor question, how many weeks of traing can you realistically miss in a marathon training guide before you have to say, well theirs no point in trying now!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Simple answer here if you have Plantar Facisitis... Don't run the marathon. The pain of running with it will make it a very unpleasant and difficult experience , and you could end up out of running for some considerable time. Rest is certainly very much part of how to recover from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭corny

I sympathise but you should let it go.

Had a similar complaint and deadline earlier in the year. Missed 5 weeks training, then ran 19 miles two weeks before marathon in a desperate attempt to get ready. Still wasn't right but couldn't face up to the obvious. Anyway ran the marathon in 4 hours 30 minutes. Spent more time wincing in pain and hobbling (not running) than anything else. Nothing positive came of it. Race was just a sufferfest and i was lucky i didn't do more serious damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Burgman

Caitriona Jennings had PF during the 2012 Olympic marathon and it was not pleasant to see her suffering. I suspect that her circumstances were somewhat similar to yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

amcgee wrote: »
    Its a race i have being trying to do for 3 years and always seem to get injured in august or september. I did the limerick marathon in May and did 3:26 and that was run as a stepping stone to Dublin and have run a few half marathons in the last few weeks with good times.

What training plan are you using that has you racing a few half marathons in a short space of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

It depends on how bad the PF is. I mean if you're struggling to even walk then its game over. But if its not bad bad then I'd still run the marathon. During the training for my second marathon I got Plantar faciitis. It was pretty painful, so I stopped running for about 4 weeks in september/october. I did ****all before the marathon as a consequence, actually got a biomechanical assessment and the guy said to me that I could run the marathon, it wouldnt actually do any damage, it'd probably be painful alright but thats about it. The couple of weeks of no running definitely allowed things to settle down a good bit and I did run the marathon. It went well for the most part, the plantar faciitis didnt really bother me, I was so hopped up on adrendaline I felt very little. My undoing that day was going off too fast not Plantar faciitis.
    What I suggest is making a judegment call, you'll know yourself if you can run or not. If its a case where you're hobbling around and cant even imagine running even one mile, then forget it, dont run again until the PF is gone 100% and the cycle is broken.........but if you feel that you could run without it being agony and its not so bad then give it a go. I mean your training seems to have been pretty good so you wont have lost that much, just go off easy on the day and feel it out, run at a pace thats comfortable, forget the watch judge it by feel and then in the second half if things are ok, put the foot down and go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amcgee

ger664 wrote: »
    What training plan are you using that has you racing a few half marathons in a short space of time.

I wasnt following any ones but my own race plan, i did long runs in between both races(Clonmel and Tullamore) both races i ran a good time, but tended to hold back at the start, i followed the tullamore with a 20 mile run and then was planning on another 20 and then charleville half, and then a few more long runs with a 2 week taper,

similar plan to the limerick marathon.

tunguska wrote: »
    It depends on how bad the PF is. I mean if you're struggling to even walk then its game over. But if its not bad bad then I'd still run the marathon. During the training for my second marathon I got Plantar faciitis. It was pretty painful, so I stopped running for about 4 weeks in september/october. I did ****all before the marathon as a consequence, actually got a biomechanical assessment and the guy said to me that I could run the marathon, it wouldnt actually do any damage, it'd probably be painful alright but thats about it. The couple of weeks of no running definitely allowed things to settle down a good bit and I did run the marathon. It went well for the most part, the plantar faciitis didnt really bother me, I was so hopped up on adrendaline I felt very little. My undoing that day was going off too fast not Plantar faciitis.
    What I suggest is making a judegment call, you'll know yourself if you can run or not. If its a case where you're hobbling around and cant even imagine running even one mile, then forget it, dont run again until the PF is gone 100% and the cycle is broken.........but if you feel that you could run without it being agony and its not so bad then give it a go. I mean your training seems to have been pretty good so you wont have lost that much, just go off easy on the day and feel it out, run at a pace thats comfortable, forget the watch judge it by feel and then in the second half if things are ok, put the foot down and go for it.

thanks for your honest reply, i am edging towards doing it, i got the all clear to run yesterday, and ran 3 miles last night, although it wasn't the easiest run i have done, it was ok, i am going to take it slow and see how it goes, going to see if i can get it up to 8 to 10 miles this weekend, if that works then i will be ok,but i wont be trying to fool anyone, if it hurts and so on, i wont be doing it or if on the day it flares up i will do the sensible thing and walk off the course .The physio was more positive about me doing the race than me..he checked everything and all seemed ok
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bubbygus

So, I've never run a marathon or anything, but figured I'd reply. I always sucked at running and would do it off and on again. I could do 3 miles before and that was the longest I've been able to run. Due to life ****, I stopped running and just stuck to working out and my physically demanding job. Well, I started running again and was concentrating on sprints, HIIT stuff, and was getting sore feet all the time. Didn't think too much about it, then I decided to do Rugby for the first time ever (wanted to try a new sport). Well, the first part of the practice, I felt a pull in my left foot, and I felt it 2 more times, all along my arch. I continued the whole practice and thought it felt more sore than normal, I just continued on and thought rest was all it would need. Well, I woke up and couldn't walk, my arch was 3 times the size, bruised and couldn't stand any weight. My right foot had massive ankle soreness. When I was finally able to see a Podiatrist, he informed me that my left foot had gone beyond Plantar fasciitis and that those pulling sensations was my tendon actually tearing itself. My recovery plan is now having to assume I had Plantar fasciitis and had surgery on my foot since it went past inflammation and replicated the surgery by tearing itself. My right foot with the swollen ankle is my interior tendon greatly inflamed because it's the same problem my left foot had, just my other arch supporting tendon decided to become swollen.

My Podiatrist said both of these problems was caused to my achilles tendon being super tight. So, now that I'll have to start physical therapy and in hopefully 3-4 weeks, will be able to run. One reason I'm telling you this is because this ****ing sucks, another reason is that my doctor said the main problem will all of this is that it's very easy for people to do the tendon stretches and when it heals, go back to the physical activities, then when it inflames again, it'll take longer and it'll be worse. So, this kind of injury is one that you'll need to constantly make sure that you're keeping that Achilles tendon loose, which means 3-5 stretches a day on just that tendon area. My problem was I only stretched it the days I was working those muscle groups.

So, tldr: If you push it, it could tear itself. Constantly stretch your Achilles tendon for everyday, including after your heal from PT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

amcgee wrote: »
    I wasnt following any ones but my own race plan, i did long runs in between both races(Clonmel and Tullamore) both races i ran a good time, but tended to hold back at the start, i followed the tullamore with a 20 mile run and then was planning on another 20 and then charleville half, and then a few more long runs with a 2 week taper,

similar plan to the limerick marathon.

From your initial post this is your third year getting injured before Dublin. Clearly the plan you are using is pushing your body/legs over the edge as there probably isn't sufficient recovery/step back weeks

I would suggest join a local running club or get a got coach. You clearly need a more tailored running plan from someone with experience in coaching given your history.

ger664 wrote: »
    From your initial post this is your third year getting injured before Dublin. Clearly the plan you are using is pushing your body/legs over the edge as there probably isn't sufficient recovery/step back weeks

I would suggest join a local running club or get a got coach. You clearly need a more tailored running plan from someone with experience in coaching given your history.

Thanks for your advice, funnily enough i agree with you, i joined a club last december after 2 years running on my own, and it makes a big differance
    my first year trying to do dublin, my calf went when i got up to 13 miles,In long runs, then last year my it band gave me trouble after my first marathon, so i joined a local club which has been great. My main problem is my core.. I do neglect that area of training, , just like most people, i can only fit in running at various times due to work family stuff. I did 5 miles tonight so i feel more confident about doing it. But one step at a time,
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭copey

I twisted my knee a week before the marathon last year heartbreaking

bubbygus wrote: »
    So, I've never run a marathon or anything, but figured I'd reply. I always sucked at running and would do it off and on again. I could do 3 miles before and that was the longest I've been able to run. Due to life ****, I stopped running and just stuck to working out and my physically demanding job. Well, I started running again and was concentrating on sprints, HIIT stuff, and was getting sore feet all the time. Didn't think too much about it, then I decided to do Rugby for the first time ever (wanted to try a new sport). Well, the first part of the practice, I felt a pull in my left foot, and I felt it 2 more times, all along my arch. I continued the whole practice and thought it felt more sore than normal, I just continued on and thought rest was all it would need. Well, I woke up and couldn't walk, my arch was 3 times the size, bruised and couldn't stand any weight. My right foot had massive ankle soreness. When I was finally able to see a Podiatrist, he informed me that my left foot had gone beyond Plantar fasciitis and that those pulling sensations was my tendon actually tearing itself. My recovery plan is now having to assume I had Plantar fasciitis and had surgery on my foot since it went past inflammation and replicated the surgery by tearing itself. My right foot with the swollen ankle is my interior tendon greatly inflamed because it's the same problem my left foot had, just my other arch supporting tendon decided to become swollen.

My Podiatrist said both of these problems was caused to my achilles tendon being super tight. So, now that I'll have to start physical therapy and in hopefully 3-4 weeks, will be able to run. One reason I'm telling you this is because this ****ing sucks, another reason is that my doctor said the main problem will all of this is that it's very easy for people to do the tendon stretches and when it heals, go back to the physical activities, then when it inflames again, it'll take longer and it'll be worse. So, this kind of injury is one that you'll need to constantly make sure that you're keeping that Achilles tendon loose, which means 3-5 stretches a day on just that tendon area. My problem was I only stretched it the days I was working those muscle groups.

So, tldr: If you push it, it could tear itself. Constantly stretch your Achilles tendon for everyday, including after your heal from PT.

Thanks for your advice, sounds tough, good luck with your recovery, hopefully my physio has sorted my problems in time, he checked everything, i did have a tight calf muscle, but that was sorted, so will be following all stretches.
    Good luck

copey wrote: »
    I twisted my knee a week before the marathon last year heartbreaking

Thats very tough, hope your over it and your planning to do it this year. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

If you're dead set on doing DCM then how about non-running fitness work for a few weeks? Rest the PF, maybe cycle. You won't be able to race it but you might be able to maintain/build enough fitness to allow you commit/decide closer to the day. But to run & complete it, not to race it.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    If you're dead set on doing DCM then how about non-running fitness work for a few weeks? Rest the PF, maybe cycle. You won't be able to race it but you might be able to maintain/build enough fitness to allow you commit/decide closer to the day. But to run & complete it, not to race it.

thanks. racing Dublin is for sure not on the agenda any more unfortunately, running it is still a possibility, so is not running it, i would like to run it and see the course and then think about doing it next year again properly, i am not sure how much more marathon training i can do, as it takes a lot of time and dedication to do, when i started training for this race i had in mind of do a sub 3:25, now that wont be happening, a more realistic target will be just to get to the start line and see how long it takes. hopefully over the next few weeks, given the right training and stretching exercisesmaybe i can still do it, but i will also use the bike for long cycles to keep the fittness as good as i can
    thanks

My advice to you would be to just let it go. You are injured.

I trained for a marathon in 2011 and got shin splints and groin problems six weeks out from the big day having done all the hard work (way too much as it turns out). I was like a dog for that time trying to find ways of getting back. In the end, I got very little done in that period before the marathon but still decided to go for it on the day. Big mistake.

I crawled around at less than my training pace and was in absolute agony for the last 12 miles. I made it but didn't run for about a year after because of the injury and just being so frustrated. My advice would to tackle the marathon only when you are 100 per cent right.

My advice to you would be to just let it go. You are injured.

I trained for a marathon in 2011 and got shin splints and groin problems six weeks out from the big day having done all the hard work (way too much as it turns out). I was like a dog for that time trying to find ways of getting back. In the end, I got very little done in that period before the marathon but still decided to go for it on the day. Big mistake.

I crawled around at less than my training pace and was in absolute agony for the last 12 miles. I made it but didn't run for about a year after because of the injury and just being so frustrated. My advice would to tackle the marathon only when you are 100 per cent right.

thanks, and sorry to hear your story, my first marathon i hit the wall at mile 16(went out way too fast on a hot day and suffered), i do feel as if i am moving in the right direction, if i do it and at any stage something happens i wont be finishing it.
    thanks

Hi

Thankfully my foot heeled in time for me to run the marathon and was able to do it in 3:32:54
    No problems with my foot, although i did hit the wall at mile 21 and struggled home for the remainder. happy overall. my 3 weeks out didnt help and it caught up with me at mile 22, but other than that all is ok
    amcgee

Advertisement