Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPU not being detected.

Options
  • 19-09-2014 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hey guys,

So I completed my first ever build. I assembled all the components, power connectors are all inserted fully and Windows 7 installed. I have one problem though, the PC is using the integrated graphics on the motherboard and doesn't seem to detect the installed GPU.
    I've tried installing the GPU drivers from the disc which came with the GPU but I receive an error message mid-installation. The GPU is receiving power, fans spinning, lights are on etc, so

Although I do have an inkling that the problem might be the fact that I'm using an old Dell monitor which only has a VGA port and a power supply port, which means my GPU cannot be directly plugged into the monitor. I then tried to connect the GPU directly to the HDMI port on my TV and also connected the VGA cable to my TV, powered on but received no signal.

Any help would be appreciated.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core
    Motherboard: Asus H81M-E Micro ATX LGA1150
    Memory: Patriot 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
    GPU: Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X OC
    Case: BitFenix Merc Alpha (Black) ATX Mid Tower
    Power Supply: EVGA 500W ATX12V / EPS12V

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Doest the video card work when plugged into the HDMI on the TV?

Borrow a flat screen monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Don't use drivers on disk, download the latest ones. Also try going into bios and disabling onboard graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Rhyso

I just checked the power supply requirements for the GPU. It says a 750w PSU is required, mine is 500w...

I think this might be the problem? Although the GPU powers on, so im not too sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Is it being detected in device manager, under display adapters? make sure the GPU is installed in the PCIE slot properly and you've the correct power cables going to it.

It should be working HDMI into the TV , Maybe Disabling the Onboard graphics will let the Card take over , BUT BE CAREFUL ,I'm not sure what will happen if it doesn't , you may need to reset the bios to use the onboard gpu again.

It will only draw that power under full load. Where did you read that 750 anyway, that seems way too high?

As above, if disabling onboard graphics bricks your machine - you can reset bios by moving a jumper - read manual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Rhyso wrote: »
    I just checked the power supply requirements for the GPU. It says a 750w PSU is required, mine is 500w...

I think this might be the problem? Although the GPU powers on, so im not too sure.

Check settings in the bios, it may be set to use integrated graphics

papu wrote: »
    Is it being detected in device manager, under display adapters? make sure the GPU is installed in the PCIE slot properly and you've the correct power cables going to it.

It should be working HDMI into the TV , Maybe Disabling the Onboard graphics will let the Card take over , BUT BE CAREFUL ,I'm not sure what will happen if it doesn't , you may need to reset the bios to use the onboard gpu again.

Cheers for the reply,

It's not being detected in device manager at all, it's just detecting the onboard graphics from the motherboard.

This is probably your problem... find someone with a better PSU , check your card works in this system. Or just buy a new PSU yourself.

Cheers for the reply,

It's not being detected in device manager at all, it's just detecting the onboard graphics from the motherboard.

No amount of messing with drivers will get it working then , there are default drivers on the card that will be registered with windows . if these aren't coming up its not a software issue.

old_aussie wrote: »
    Doest the video card work when plugged into the HDMI on the TV?

Borrow a flat screen monitor.

Nope, no signal.

• Advertisement

Change the bios settings...

srsly78 wrote: »
    Change the bios settings...

Sweet, will try it out.

Nope, no signal.

That card is going to pull 250W at load ALONE,

http://support.asus.com/powersupply.aspx
    322675.PNG

Yes but it should still be able to boot up, it only uses 75W or so when idle.

That card is going to pull 350W at load ALONE, it's not going to work with a 500W psu

Even at 80% efficiency , which is good for a PSU , you'll only be able to do 400W with a 500W psu . which is nowhere near enough

Yeah that makes sense, the card is huge. I'm just wondering if that would result in the motherboard not detecting the card though? Surely it should still detect that it's installed in the PCI E port, or am I completely wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

That card is going to pull 250W at load ALONE, it's not going to work with a 500W psu

Even at 80% efficiency , which is good for a PSU , you'll only be able to do 400W with a 500W psu . which is nowhere near enough

http://support.asus.com/powersupply.aspx
    322675.PNG

PSU should be fine for that card if not defective and has enough on the 12v rail. That's not how you calculate the efficiency either, a good psu can draw more than its rated for . I have a similar enough card (7970) which likely draws more power on a good quality 450w with no issues

Lu Tze wrote: »
    PSU should be fine for that card if not defective and has enough on the 12v rail. That's not how you calculate the efficiency either, a good psu can draw more than its rated for . I have a similar enough card (7970) which likely draws more power on a good quality 450w with no issues

yup completely right , I derped hard.
    need my morning coffee.

Hey guys, thanks for the help. Was a connector problem and I finally got it detected!

Thanks a lot!

Advertisement