Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dublin Half -jog it or give it a lash

Options
  • 19-09-2014 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

morning all.

I have a dilemma . With the dublin half marathon coming up on saturday.

I did the Dingle marathon two weeks ago in 3:45, no problems really and took a week off and I will be doing dublin marathon in a month.

I can jog down and jog the race to get a 20 miler done OR turn up and give the Half a good go and try get under the 90 mins. I have not got under 90 this year. My halfs are all around 95-98 ( i have not ran hard in a half this year)

So should I race it or jog it , knowing dublin is 4 weeks away :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I'd suggest staying in bed and having a good lie in. Not sure what you'd hope to achieve by racing a half marathon 2-3 weeks after running a marathon, but if there was ever a time you were most likely to get injured, this'd be that time. So maybe the 20 miler is a better option, but I gotta ask the question: are you hoping to improve on your Dingle time in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭rdunne

I'd suggest staying in bed and having a good lie in. Not sure what you'd hope to achieve by racing a half marathon 2-3 weeks after running a marathon, but if there was ever a time you were most likely to get injured, this'd be that time. So maybe the 20 miler is a better option, but I gotta ask the question: are you hoping to improve on your Dingle time in Dublin?

im looking at 3:30ish for dublin, I was grand after dingle.

I think ill do a 17mile jog. take it easy for most of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi rdunne, I've been in a very similar situation (ran my first marathon in August 2008 and ran Dublin in October 7/8 weeks later) and it's very difficult to see where an improvement can come from, with such a short opportunity for quality training. You've got to be thinking in terms of taking 2-3 weeks easy after the first marathon, and then ramp-down with 2-3 weeks to go for the next marathon, unless of course Dingle is a very tough course, or you took it pretty easy. But anyway, you probably don't want to hear this. Good luck in Dublin. Stay injury free!

Advertisement