Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much clothes do you own?

Options
  • 19-09-2014 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭

Just got thinking about this after seeing the "what do you wear on a night out?" thread.. Some people seem to have loads, but most guys I know don't seem to be in the slightest bit worried about clothes or fashion.

I am honestly not in the slightest bit fussy or worried about what I'm wearing, unless I'm going to something formal. All I own is 3 hoodies, 3 pairs of jeans, 2 pairs of chinos, 7 t-shirts and 1 shirt. I have three pairs of shoes; one fancy/formal pair, a pair of Adidas I've worn everyday for the past year, and a shite pair of runners that I'll use to avoid ruining my normal pair if I ever do anything that involves getting muddy/wet (hurr hurr) etc.

There's one guy in particular I know who has an absolutely massive collection of clothes, fancy stuff too, don't even know if he ever wears the same thing twice. He told me he has about 20 pairs of jeans, 10 pairs of chinos, about 50 t-shirts, 30 shirts, 20 hoodies and 15 pairs of shoes. Why would you need that much? :confused: Is that a normal amount? I couldn't justify having that much clothes simply because of the money it would cost :o It'd feel like a waste to me.

How about you? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Oh dear... This is one of the things that I'm infamous for.

I own (off the top of my head):

-2 black suits
    -1 grey suit
    -1 beige suit
    -1 navy suit
    -at least 6 pairs of black slacks
    -at least 6 pairs of beige/brown slacks/chinos
    -1 grey blazer
    -2 black blazers
    -1 beige blazer
    -2 navy blazers
    -1 denim jacket
    -3 black leather jackets
    -2 brown leather jackets
    -6 pairs blue jeans
    -4 pairs black jeans
    -at least a dozen black shirts
    -at least 2 dozen shirts of other colours
    -at least a dozen ties
    -at least a dozen football/rugby jerseys
    -at least 6 polo shirts
    -3 pairs formal black shoes
    -2 pairs formal brown shoes
    -1 pair Dubarry deck shoes
    -4 pairs of runners
    -2 pairs of boots
    -1 pair military boots
    -and a plentiful supply of boxers, t-shirts, socks and sundries

my god, I spend way too much on clothes... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Why would you need that much? :confused:

Your friend is clearly a spy, who needs many disguises.

Check to see how many passports he has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I buy a lot of t-shirts :/

I'd say I've easily 25-30 t-shirts, would only wear 10-15 regularly
    3-4 casual shirts
    7-8 office shirts
    2 slacks
    1 suit
    3 jeans
    3 chinos
    1 tracky bottoms
    a few GAA and rugby jerseys/ t-shirts
    4 hoodies
    2 jumpers
    1 jacket

I'm sure there's more but that'd be the main few bits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I own more work clothes than casual or dress clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

DazMarz wrote: »
    Oh dear... This is one of the things that I'm infamous for.

I own (off the top of my head):

-2 black suits
    -1 grey suit
    -1 beige suit
    -1 navy suit
    -at least 6 pairs of black slacks
    -at least 6 pairs of beige/brown slacks/chinos
    -1 grey blazer
    -2 black blazers
    -1 beige blazer
    -2 navy blazers
    -1 denim jacket
    -3 black leather jackets
    -2 brown leather jackets
    -6 pairs blue jeans
    -4 pairs black jeans
    -at least a dozen black shirts
    -at least 2 dozen shirts of other colours
    -at least a dozen ties
    -at least a dozen football/rugby jerseys
    -at least 6 polo shirts
    -3 pairs formal black shoes
    -2 pairs formal brown shoes
    -1 pair Dubarry deck shoes
    -4 pairs of runners
    -2 pairs of boots
    -1 pair military boots
    -and a plentiful supply of boxers, t-shirts, socks and sundries

my god, I spend way too much on clothes... :o

Bloody hell, I couldn't even begin to count how much clothes I own. I'd say it is even more than above and I wouldn't even consider myself a big fashion fanatic. My biggest problem is not taking something I no longer wear out of my wardrobe or give to charity whenever I buy something new so the space is crammed with trying to squeeze new stuff/ shirts etc in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,734 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Don't care at all for fashion and never did actually (now pushing 40). I spent a good part of my childhood in school uniforms, and most of my adult life in "business casual" stuff so my wardrobe is fairly limited by comparison to some of the posts above! :)

3 pairs of jeans
    Just under a dozen work-type shirts
    2 suits and 3 pairs of trousers
    2 paira of formal shoes

... and that's about it really! I don't wear tracksuits, have always disliked runners since I became a teenager, don't wear hoodies or combats or whatever either.

Had an ex who initially tried to dress me in "cool" t-shirts and "fashionable" jeans but aside from the price of some of this stuff, I just felt ridiculous - like someone desperately trying to hang on to his early 20s (I was early 30s at the time and also later realised it was coincidentally the same sorta stuff her ex would wear.. hmm!)

I guess I just like the slightly more "formal" look really. Most of my money gets spent on bills and the little fella these days anyway, and what's left goes on electronics and big cars instead :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Couldnt really count mine as if I have tshirts that I no longer wear, I will keep them in a drawer as gym clothes.
    Regarding jeans I dont think you need more than 3 pairs tbh, honestly I have one pair that I wear going out most nights and then occasionally one of the other pairs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

2 jeans
    2 tracksuits
    1 chino
    10 tshirts
    1 shirt
    3 jackets
    3 shorts
    2 runners
    1 vans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I forgot tracksuits... :P

I have one black Adidas tracksuit, one black Puma tracksuit, several pairs of tracksuit bottoms, loads of hoodies (Chelsea, Leinster, Dublin GAA, etc.) and so on.

Christ... my wardrobe is bigger every time I think about it. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Once you don't spend most of the time on your knees anymore and don't need a new pair of runners every 6 months (you've grown up) you start to accumulate. Of course things go out of fashion, things go shabby and will be thrown out, you will look at something a few years down the road and think 'I can't believe I actually bought that shirt and walked around in that', but on the whole you will start to gather stuff.

I have probably 8 or 9 pairs of jeans, 4 or 5 pairs of cords, another 8 or 9 pairs of chinos/khakis. I have probably over 30 t-shirts short or long sleeve, not counting whites. At least a dozen knit jumpers. Half a dozen suits of different cuts and color. A few coats and jackets, couple of leather jackets. Probably close to 20 pairs of shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Bafucin

Not much to be honest.I'm trying a bit more for my future career of late. I tend to look scruffy anyway.And I have virtually no budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I have a lot of clothes but I would hardly call myself fashionable. None of it is particularly trendy, I buy clothes based of comfort and if they look nice that's a bonus. A lot of my nicer items of clothing were bought for me by my mum/sisters for birthdays/christmas.
    I have about 5 or 6 hoodies and the same amount of regular jumpers but they've been collected over years.
    Between 20-30 tees, mostly with pop-culture references and I plan to get more.
    About 10 long sleeves.
    5 pairs of jeans, but 2 favourites, 1 pair of beige chords, 2 pair beige chinos, 2 pairs of sweats (I only ever wear them around the house)
    3 pairs of shorts, don't think you need much more than that in Ireland
    2 suits, grey and charcoal, 5 decent shirts.
    1 pair of black shoes, 4 pairs of runners again collected over the years and in various states of shabbiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Too many thats the problem. running out of space. all i do know is i have 12 pairs of jeans, 4 pairs of canterbury trousers, 6 shirts, lost count of hoodies, jackets and t shirts. 7 pairs of trainers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Just plenty of tracksuits and runners. If I'm going somewhere formal I'll pop into the evening wear departmemt in JD Sports.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Way too much!

Footwear alone I probably have 4 choices in trainers and 6 in more formal shoes/boots.

I like to take pride in my appearance but do love my scruffy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,737 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I'm very lucky in that I have two sets of wardrobes.
    One with clothes that fit me, and the other with ones that don't...
    (Seasonal pounds....hehhh hemmmm....)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

No way I could list everything, would take too long.

Of the important items I would say:

- 3 overcoats (2 formal, 1 shorter and more casual)
    - 5 wool suits (4 'work', 1 'casual')
    - 1 linen suit
    - 4 wool jackets/blazers
    - 12 pairs of trousers/chinos
    - 10 pairs of 'dress'* shoes.
    - 35+ 'dress' shirts (3-4 linen)
    - 40+ ties
    - 5/6 pocket squares
    - 3 pairs of good/formal gloves (including a sheepskin pair which are waaarm)
    - 2 decent watches
    - Medley of cufflinks, leather belts, scarves, collar stays etc.

I've buckets of t-shirts, polo's, 'trainers' a few pairs of jeans and all the other casual stuff but these are mostly for lazing about or calling over to friends so I don't really care about them personally.

*I hate the term 'dress' for anything other than an actual dress...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 383 ✭✭Mike747

Don't own a huge amount but everything is good quality.

- 1 Navy suit
    - 1 Black leather jacket
    - 1 Brown leather jacket
    - 1 Black pea coat
    - 1 Grey pea coat
    - 4 pairs of jeans
    - 1 pair of runners (for gym only)
    - 1 pair of black chukka boots
    - 1 pair of brown brogue boots
    - 1 pair of black dress shoes
    - 4 check shirts
    - 3 jumpers