Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NaNoWriMo Ireland 2014

Options
  • 18-09-2014 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Anyone taking part this year?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I might sign up and see how I go.

I did it in 2012 and won. It was an amazing (if tiring) experience. It really shows you how much you can produce if you just sit down and write.

For anyone unfamiliar with the concept, you commit to writing 50,000 words in the month of November. You win if you achieve this goal.

http://nanowrimo.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Had you done any preparation for it DK, or did you just sit down on November 1st and start with a blank page?
    It looks to me as if it would involve putting 'normal' life on hold for a month to get close to the target and I don't know if I want to make that sort of commitment, although I know it is what would be needed if you are serious about writing.

echo beach wrote: »
    Had you done any preparation for it DK, or did you just sit down on November 1st and start with a blank page?
    It looks to me as if it would involve putting 'normal' life on hold for a month to get close to the target and I don't know if I want to make that sort of commitment, although I know it is what would be needed if you are serious about writing.

I had a rough idea but mostly I just sat down and wrote and saw where the story was leading me.

It does consume some of your spare time, and I hadn't much to spare with a full time job and a toddler and my best friend's wedding in the middle for which I was bridesmaid. I did miss out on sleep, but tiredness can be useful for turning the inner critic off.

Setting out I never thought I'd try to reach the target, that every few words down were a few more than I would have written otherwise. What I came out with was a big chunk of a novel that I've been working on since and have added more to.

There are patches that I clearly wrote with my eyes closed, and I did put in sections of gratuitous sex just to fill out the word count, but that's all fixable!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Sherlof3

Das Kitty - did you keep writing afterwards?

I am 52,000 words into a book but I have been writing since January 1st! Do you need to start from scratch? Feel like this could be the final push I need!

Sherlof3 wrote: »
    Das Kitty - did you keep writing afterwards?

I am 52,000 words into a book but I have been writing since January 1st! Do you need to start from scratch? Feel like this could be the final push I need!

I did. I've another 30K added to date and some plot holes plugged up. I had another baby in the mean time and have been distracted by short story writing for the past while.

You don't need to start from scratch, you can just keep going from where you are. That's what I'll be doing if I'm doing it this year. Getting to the end of the story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Setting out I never thought I'd try to reach the target, that every few words down were a few more than I would have written otherwise.

That is probably the best attitude to take.

I did. I've another 30K added to date and some plot holes plugged up. I had another baby in the mean time and have been distracted by short story writing for the past while.

You don't need to start from scratch, you can just keep going from where you are. That's what I'll be doing if I'm doing it this year. Getting to the end of the story.

Wow - you are really productive! Have you written a book before?

Wow - you are really productive! Have you written a book before?

Ha ha. Nope, it's my first, but I generally am a productive writer. It's my way of getting the million words of rubbish written before the good writing magically begins. :P I'm about halfway there now.

I have an idea for a second novel. But I've got it on ice at the moment and I'm not letting myself think about it.

Ha ha. Nope, it's my first, but I generally am a productive writer. It's my way of getting the million words of rubbish written before the good writing magically begins. :P I'm about halfway there now.

I have an idea for a second novel. But I've got it on ice at the moment and I'm not letting myself think about it.

Fair play to you for keeping on going! Have you thought about entering the Irish Writer's Centre Novel Fair competition?

Fair play to you for keeping on going! Have you thought about entering the Irish Writer's Centre Novel Fair competition?

I need to finish the thing first.

I've an offer from a friend of mine to have her assistant look over it for a reader review once I get it into first draft. She is apparently very good. So that's the incentive to finish. Then the pain of draft 2. Then I'll probably hire an editor. I owe it to myself to get it as good as possible.

• Advertisement

I need to finish the thing first.

I've an offer from a friend of mine to have her assistant look over it for a reader review once I get it into first draft. She is apparently very good. So that's the incentive to finish. Then the pain of draft 2. Then I'll probably hire an editor. I owe it to myself to get it as good as possible.

Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I'm planning on participating this year. I've been doing it on and off since 2005 (the stellar work of a 15 year old). Not always completing it but always coming away having written more than I would otherwise.

I would encourage anyone thinking about doing it to get involved in the forum and local meetup groups. They're great motivation (sometimes you do things like timed word races with people online) and a source of inspiration and guidance if you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Clockwork Owl

I tried two years ago, when I first moved to Ireland, and failed miserably. I think I'll give it another shot this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

I had a quick look at the website and the FAQ section.

I couldn't find the answer to who owns your work when it's over.

Anyone know?
    Thanks

I had a quick look at the website and the FAQ section.

I couldn't find the answer to who owns your work when it's over.

Anyone know?
    Thanks

Seeing as you don't upload it, it's you.

There's a word count check on the last day but it doesn't do anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

I'm planning on doing it again. I did it last year adding 20000 words to a work in progress, which is still in progress. I'll be getting stuck in to it again then.

Are there any meet ups for it in Dublin or like a local co-ordinator?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I've just signed up to it. I often write stuff but have been meaning to give a more concentrated effort recently. Here's hoping it'll keep me on track!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭FudgeBrace

I attempted it two years ago but school got in the way, but now I think I just used school as an excuse. I'm going to fully commit to it this year, no excuses. I have a little idea that I'm going to keep an eye on until November, and then the real fun begins :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,460 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Storybundle have released a batch of books to help with nanowrimo... Looks useful.

http://storybundle.com/nano

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

I have signed up I hope its the discipline I need!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Fidge13

I signed up too, and have the best of intentions. But I fear I won't win. I have never competed before.

Would Dublin-based folk be interested in a meet up?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Hesthea

I've signed in for the 1st time this year. Let's see how many words i can write in 30 days. :D

My best advice would be: DO NOT EDIT. Maybe allow ten minutes max a day to re-read the previous day's work and get into the vibe, but I failed spectacularly last time around because my Inner Editor took a red biro to basically everything and ruined my daily productivity.

Another handy tip: if you get stuck on a place or person name, or a word that you can't quite think of, just put down TK or QX. These letter pairings rarely show up in natural writing, so it's nice and easy to use the Find tool and go back to them later.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Hesthea

Thanks, Clockwork Owl. Though it will be hard, since i have the tendency to re-read everything and edit =/

I've already decided in what its going to be about and its title.
    How about you, guys? =)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

What's the point of the meet-ups? Writing generally is not an experience that is conducive to social interaction. If I want to produce 50,000 words in a month then is it advisable for me to be spending time chatting to young wans about how their dystopian YA novel is set to revolutionise the genre because s/he really gets teenagers?

donfers wrote: »
    What's the point of the meet-ups? Writing generally is not an experience that is conducive to social interaction. If I want to produce 50,000 words in a month then is it advisable for me to be spending time chatting to young wans about how their dystopian YA novel is set to revolutionise the genre because s/he really gets teenagers?
    I think the point of meet-ups is that it's nice to remember that you're not alone. It's a little bit of peer pressure meets a little bit of group encouragement. It's actually very possible to spend too long alone and staring at the screen, so an hour out of the schedule to chat to people in the same boat can be very motivational.

I've got most of my plot outlined on Yarny, although I'm still missing a substantial amount of the middle section. I've five consecutive chapters at the beginning where I know exactly what happens though, so here's hoping I've picked up enough momentum by the end of 'em to barrel on through the rest. No title yet, but that's hardly a news flash for me. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

donfers wrote: »
    Meetups are more "let's all write in silence for a set amount of time because the peer pressure will make me write more than I were alone at home" than what you are imagining.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Interesting perspectives on this, as while I've dabbled on and off with the idea of taking part, it has always felt like the writing equivalent of a marathon: a hell of an achievement if you finish, but once done you never want to race again :D I am trying to write longer pieces, with people pushing me towards something more like a novel, but I'm not sure a month cramming session feels particularly natural!

Advertisement