Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rolex anniversary submariner or not?

Options
  • 17-09-2014 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

hi all,
    I'm looking for advice, been contemplating getting a submariner for over 5 years. Nearly bought one on honeymoon but the cost was out of my ball park at the time… settled on a tag heuer aquaracer calibre 5 which I have worn as my daily wearer since then and its been well worth the $1400 spent on it. I also inherited a beautiful Omega Electronic f300 Hz Chronometer that I wear with a brown leather strap. Now back to thinking about investing in a submariner, but my predicament is wether to go for a traditional sub with date, or seek out the anniversary edition with the black face and emerald dial. any advice or opinions on price and quality would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Just to give you an indication on prices, I have a 2013 Sub with ceramic bezel for sale. Price will depend on new/secondhand, 16610/116610 variation etc.

I found the only way to appreciate the quality of the Submariner is when you compare it to other watches of around the same price and see the attention to detail. They're not overly flash with relatively straightforward, legible dials. I've never seen the emerald dial one in the flesh, but the traditional black face is pretty impressive. Selling mine as I have a lovely Speedmaster 9300 and don't really need two watches....which is probably a sacrilegious thing to say on this thread!

Link here: http://www.adverts.ie/5825840

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

I have the green bezel/black face anniv sub, and I nearly turned myself inside out at time of purchase about the black/green bezel decision. I went for the green anniversary edition in the end but I still hanker after that black classic look, its about 8 years old now and I'm still not 100% convinced I made the right decision !!
    There is no doubt that the classic sub is the black bezel, lovely as the green is.
    You can find reams of debate on the rolex forums black v green too btw

I have even bought an aftermarket black bezel online, the idea being to have the best of both worlds and change them around as per ones mood, but I havnt been brave enough to attempt it.... yet.... there are youtube how-to clips that make it look fairly simple, but it still scares me!
    I guess if you could master the bezel swap, you would have a great solution, maybe its a lot simpler then I am assuming. Perhaps someone on here has tried it?

Re Fulladapipes post; I ve bought from him before, an Omega not a Rolex, but deal was easy and watch was straight up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭breanach78

If budget is not an go for both!
    Now, I want tho the same dilemma a while back. I have both so I hope I can speak from experience.

The 50lv is really nice watch and stands out but not overly so. Any watch enthusiast will spot it a mile away!

The new sub C. Is all the watch you really need, ever. The upgrades from the 16610 are miles apart in some respects. You really need to compare both tho side by side for your self. I felt I could see the price justification more so in the Sub C.

Another issue for you will be that both will be more of lees the same price.

A clean SH LV will be the same price as a likewise Sub C.

Like I say go out and try compare both. Personally I would not buy outside a Auth. Rolex dealer but if you do be sure you trust the dealer or individual completely. But the seller as must as the watch.

Buying both is an excellent solution!
    Poss not the most cost effective though, it adds up to a lot of munz, even one of these babies is a fairly substantial purchase :-0
    But feck it, you will have it for ever.
    I did have a hope the that the green LV would in time be worth a bit more, and they are hard to find brand new now so maybe that value increase will start to happen. It might be a consideration in the overall decision.
    I know secondhand Rolex is a minefield but I keep seeing older 5513 no date black subs online that look really great
    Thats what I would hit, if I had the money for a second one.

Oh, I meant to add.... breanach78 mentioned that the new subs are significantly upgraded from the older ones;
    The new ones have a really high quality bracelet clasp, whereas the older ones (mine) have a pressed steel section where the bracelet actually closes over. It has always bothered me that a high end watch with such a name for overall quality has such a cheap feeling section in the bracelet. They changed it for the better in the new ones.
    I guess its a small thing, but the devil is the watch details etc etc
    Still love my one.
    Good luck with the decision, its a win win really, there is no wrong answer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭breanach78

TedR wrote: »
    Oh, I meant to add.... breanach78 mentioned that the new subs are significantly upgraded from the older ones;
    The new ones have a really high quality bracelet clasp, whereas the older ones (mine) have a pressed steel section where the bracelet actually closes over. It has always bothered me that a high end watch with such a name for overall quality has such a cheap feeling section in the bracelet. They changed it for the better in the new ones.
    I guess its a small thing, but the devil is the watch details etc etc
    Still love my one.
    Good luck with the decision, its a win win really, there is no wrong answer

Nick named the tin foil clasp ! Nothing worng with it as it's worked for many decades on watches plus its comfortable.

Advertisement