Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accepting a Job Offer...

Options
  • 17-09-2014 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

So, I have been working on a JobBridge intern ship for the last 7 months. Yesterday, the director of the company called me down for a 'small chat' on how I have been getting on with the work, etc, etc.

Well, after some small chit chat about how I was getting on he eventually asked me if I would be interested in a paid position! I was quite shocked and surprised as I have been fully expecting to run out the remainder of the intern ship and end up with no job!

Now here's my question, I have basically said yes to the position, but, at the time I didn't ask for any of the particulars (salary, term of contract, etc)! He has been away on business the past two days so I have not had a chance to track him down and try and get more information out of him.

Can I still negotiate everything once I receive all the details in ink? Does the saying 'A verbal contract is worth as much as the paper it's written on' actually stand true in this situation?

Oh, the job is based in the construction industry (things are turning around it seems!).

Any insight on this? Have I shot myself in the foot by accepting his offer??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,248 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

First off, congrats!

Seem to me that the worst case scenario is that they low ball you, you turn it down politely and you're in exactly the same position as you expected to be anyway. Less worse situation - they low ball you, you accept it and get paid while you build up your experience and look for something else down the road.

You can of course negotiate away, especially as you've not been given that much to go on. Is there anyone working there on a paid basis that is doing the same work? If so, try and discreetly find out how much they're getting, so you know if the offer is on a par with other people. And obviously - if they had to advertise for that job, what would they need to offer. I might be wrong, but there's probably a lot of people looking for construction work, so you may not have too much bargaining power.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sminkypirate

haha thank you!

Yeah, it seems like I am going to be low balled from what I have managed to squeeze from of my colleagues! Its a professional consultancy company and the work I do has up to now been used regularly and I imagine my workload will increase significantly once I am a 'full employee'.

My biggest worry has so far been they may try shoot extremely low and make anything I propose seem extravagantly high! But I suppose, this is all speculation until I actually receive more information! I don't exactly mind getting a lower wage at first (I have changed fields essentially from my undergrad studies, currently studying a part time masters in the evening in this field now) and am learning as I go, that and the experience is invaluable (especially with this company!). I guess I will just have to hope for the best that I can push for something decent!

Thanks for your reply Eoin, you've put me at ease a bit more now!

Advertisement