Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clean Pores - Cheap Alternatives?

Options
  • 17-09-2014 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hey Everyone,

Just hoping for a bit of advice regarding pore strips / cleaning pores. I have heard Biore strips are excellent, but frankly at €15/box, they're far too expensive for my student budget. I've tried the home-made "gelatin/milk" concoction and while it was mediocre, it stank like no other so I'm eager to try something relatively inexpensive but effective!

Any suggestions? Homemade or otherwise?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Esterhase

Boots have an own-brand version of those strips, as part of the witch hazel and tea tree range. They are half the price and you should be able to find them beside the Biore strips in the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Sheela

Superdrug's own brand ones are great as well....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Esterhase wrote: »
    Boots have an own-brand version of those strips, as part of the witch hazel and tea tree range. They are half the price and you should be able to find them beside the Biore strips in the shops.

Are they any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

xzanti wrote: »
    Are they any good?

Only OK in my experience. The Biore ones are better, they'll pop up on 3 for 2 or similar at some point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Esterhase

I've only tried the Boots brand once and they got the job done but the Biore ones are better for me personally. The main problem I had with the Boots strips was an awful itch afterwards; I think they just weren't right for my skin. So here I am paying double for Biore, good thing I don't use them more than once every few weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

A decent exfoliation and properly moisturised skin should loosen those blocked pores. Then just squeeze or use any of the strips.

Best time to do is after a shower. The steam will have opened the pores, and a good exfoliation will have them nice and loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

these are very bad for the skin as the previous poster stated use an exfoliator instead. I've moved away from physical (grainy) exfoliators to chemical and found my blackheads are much better as a result. A budget one to try is Ziaja sensitive skin enzyme peel

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭lajoie

UPDATE! I found an alternative. The brand Montagne Jeunesse have a new pore strip pack. 3 strips for €1.90. Animal cruelty free - and they work an absolute treat. Not too harsh, but do the job. My skin is relatively clear, and combination, so highly recommend checking them out!

I won't be. These pore things are the equivalent of putting sellotape on your nose!

jadie wrote: »
    I won't be. These pore things are the equivalent of putting sellotape on your nose!

Yea, you already said you don't think they're good. However for those who are interested, these ones were in no way comparable to putting tape on the nose.

• Advertisement

lajoie wrote: »
    Yea, you already said you don't think they're good. However for those who are interested, these ones were in no way comparable to putting tape on the nose.

Yes they are same principle.

jadie wrote: »
    Yes they are same principle.

Really? You want to keep going back and forward about whether they're like tape or not? :p
    I came to ask for advice on where to find them, not how they work. To each their own.

Thanks for the recommendations, ladies!

lajoie wrote: »
    Really? You want to keep going back and forward about whether they're like tape or not? :p
    I came to ask for advice on where to find them, not how they work. To each their own.

Thanks for the recommendations, ladies!

No I don't go ahead and damage your skin. I take skincare seriously!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

The oil cleansing method has really helped my awful blackheady nose. It apparently works on principle of Like dissolves like. After massaging oil into my nose the first time I tried it (very apprehensively), I actually felt the plugs of sebum loosening and popping out. Honestly I could even see holes where the bigger ones once were.
    Don't get me wrong you see similar results with the Biore, but this method is less harsh, and definitely I saw longer lasting results. The pores got smaller and smaller over time! And you never get sick of feeling the balls pop out as you massage the nose!
    Google OCM and it will recommend what oil.blend to use for your skin type! No harm trying it!

Advertisement