Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade from 4gb to 8gb Question

Options
  • 17-09-2014 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭

My pc has the Asus P8Z68-V-LE motherboard.
    My pc is the Chillblast Fusion Shadow.
    http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Fusion-Shadow.html

Anyway 4GB PC3-10666 1333MHz DDR3 Memory (2 x 2GB sticks).
    I was wondering if I put in a stick of 4gb ram along with it would that help for the newer games?
    I know I'd need to upgrade my gpu aswell.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

yoyo wrote: »
    Moved from Comp & Tech

Focus on the gpu first, that's the main weak point. What resolution is your monitor? And what's your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Focus on the gpu first, that's the main weak point. What resolution is your monitor? And what's your budget?

This and also check out and post up what psu you have as it may be just a low quality/cheap brand one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

4gb is still fine for any game. Just close ram heavy background programs like internet browsers. You could do the card first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

You mustn't have tried Dead Rising 3 it's unplayable on 4gb of ram.
    My psu is a 500 watt cheap generic one.

• Advertisement

quinnd6 wrote: »
    You mustn't have tried Dead Rising 3 it's unplayable on 4gb of ram.
    My psu is a 500 watt cheap generic one.

Its the exception, there are very few games as far as i know which are 64bit applications (i.e. can address more than 3GB or so of ram).

Unless its the only game you play i would still make the gpu a priority, it is the bottleneck for pretty much any game you play

Pretty much every upcoming game is going to need a minimum of 6gb of ram.
    So I do need to upgrade the ram.
    Anyway onto my original question about the ram.
    Is it ok to mix one 4gb stick with two 2gb sticks of ddr3 ram?

quinnd6 wrote: »
    Pretty much every upcoming game is going to need a minimum of 6gb of ram.
    So I do need to upgrade the ram.
    Anyway onto my original question about the ram.
    Is it ok to mix one 4gb stick with two 2gb sticks of ddr3 ram?

Yeah just make sure they are the same spec as your existing ones. Be sure to post back with how much the performance has improved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

To be fair people here are trying to help you and you're ignoring their advice!

The reason Dead Rising 3 is unplayable isn't because you have 4gb of ram, it's because you have a very low end graphics card that doesn't even meet the minimum requirements.

You need a new card far more than you need more ram. Dead rising will still run terribly with more ram (and for the record, Dead Rising 3 runs absolutely fine on 4GB ram).

Something like this would be a huge upgrade and won't tax your PSU too much, as it's also a really poor power supply. If you want anything more powerful you'd have to look at upgrading the PSU as well.

Aye your 1gb graphics card is a much more likely culprit than the 4gb of ram.

You should be running 2gb minimum these days.

The 750ti is a great option for pc's with poor psu's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

BloodBath wrote: »
    Aye your 1gb graphics card is a much more likely culprit than the 4gb of ram.

You should be running 2gb minimum these days.

The 750ti is a great option for pc's with poor psu's.

ditto to this.

I'm running a top end gaming PC and dead rising 3 doesn't run anywhere near as well as i think it should, but i'm surprised it runs at all on a radeon 6670, its got nowhere near the guts to meet even the minimum requirement (a radeon 7870).

this chart should give you a better idea of where your gfx are at performance wise.

322556.jpg

you're looking at needing 4x the gfx performance you have now, just to meet the minimum requirement to get a decent experience with DR3, although a 750ti will get you very close (i.e. close enough) without having to go nuts on a new PSU as well.

yes it says 6gb minimum, but until you address the issues with your graphics, even 16gb isn't going to make any difference to your gaming experience and you'll see much better results from moving your gfx performance to closer to the minimum requirement than an extra bit of ram.

Thanks guys I do appreciate all the advice.
    I was mainly asking about the ram because I heard that is the tricky part of the upgrade really since I read certain combinations can cause problems.
    I guess the way to go is get a ram stick that matches the specs of what I've got already.
    I've used cpu-z so I can get a 4gb ram stick that matches the specs of what it says on it for my existing ram sticks.
    Yes that's right 6670 is too weak for the majority of new games.
    I believe that 750ti you linked to TerrorFirmer needs power from the psu so that might be a problem for me.
    This one seems to have good reviews though.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-1085MHz-1163MHz-DL-DVI-D-Graphics/dp/B00I602S92/ref=sr_1_12?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1410993512&sr=1-12&keywords=gtx750ti#customerReviews

750ti is the card I've been thinking about because it seems very good and I wouldn't need to upgrade my psu.
    Glad to hear you guys think it's a good option too.
    And also I think now I probably will upgrade the gpu first.

I'm pretty sure that Msi card uses a 6 pin power connection as well. It's still a very low power consumption card though.

Does your PSU have any 6 pins pcie connections?

No my psu does not have the 6 pin power connectors.
    It says on this review that it doesn't need extra power.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_750_Ti_Gaming/5.html

even if it does, most cards come with a molex (sometimes dual molex) to 6/8-pin adapter now, or you can get them online for a couple of quid off ebay etc. or even the likes of maplins (if you're desperate).

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

This might be an obvious quesiton, but does the OP have an OS that supports more than 4Gb of RAM?

not an insurmountable problem though, even if he doesn't he can change to 64bit without it costing anything except a couple of hours doing a backup with windows easy transfer and fresh install of 64bit windows which he can download from MS for free and use his existing windows key.

Yes I have windows 7 64 bit premium.

Advertisement