Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Summer Results...Oxford & Cambridge

Options
  • 16-09-2014 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

I did really bad in my summer, I got 4 D's, 1 E , 1B and 1 A (1D In Ordinary Level all my other subjects are Higher Level)

I've really working my a$$ of over the summer up until now and I'm really confident I can bring my grades up. I've also started working on some extra curricular activities like sport, charity and joined the student council.

My question is: I would love to get in a college like Oxford & Cambridge but I was told all applications are to be in by October and well I know I will be laughed at if I say to the teachers/guidance councils that, that is my ambition...What is the best option for me to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 OscarXC7

Why do you want to go to Oxford or Cambridge? Is it just because of their prestigious reputations, or do you have your heart set on a particular course there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

For the year for which I last saw the stats, nine people from Ireland had received offers from Oxford. So it's really quite uncommon. I imagine that most - if not all - of those nine were exceptional students.

Oxford and Cambridge are made up of between twenty and thirty colleges which fall under the umbrella of the universities. Therefore, college an university aren't synonymous in an Oxbridge context.

As a previous poster asked, have you any reason for wanting to go other than for the prestige? A few years ago I was obsessed with going. Like...OBSESSED! I memorised the names of all the colleges, decided what modules I would take, would read the student newspapers, etc (blushing!). I ended up in Trinity (Dublin!) and, as it wasn't where I had wanted to go, I was really negative about the place initially and didn't really value what I had. As I got involved in college life, that chamged completely. I've since been over to Oxford to visit a friend, and while there was a slight pang of envy, I'm really content with what I've got.

As for your chances...unless you are able to demonstrate exceptional intelligence, you will not get in. The personal statement isn't especially important in Oxbridge admissions: they interview a majority of those who apply, and weight that far more highly. Extra curriculars are almost irrelevant. Grades really are of utmost importance. Last year, between 98% and 99% of the intake got AAA or higher. Unfortunately, even if you end up getting six A's in the LC, they won't call you for interview with your fifth year grades. Your only option would be to take a gap year and apply during that.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Music4Life085

they won't call you for interview with your fifth year grades. Your only option would be to take a gap year and apply during that.

Why would 5th Grades be so important? Would you not stand out more showing how hard you work and how much you brought yourself up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Just out of interest, how exactly does admissions process work over there?

Why would 5th Grades be so important? Would you not stand out more showing how hard you work and how much you brought yourself up?

Because offers are given in advance of the LC (beginning of Jan), so it is only on the basis of those grades that you can demonstrate academic aptitude (application deadline is sometime in October, so nothing you do in Sixth Year will be of worth). ALevel subjects are split into modules, and students will have sat about half of those in their penultimate year, meaning that you will be competing against students with grades from consequential exams for which they will have prepared as we would the LC. The challenge for Oxbridge is deciding which of the high-scoring applicants are most exceptional (last year, over half of those who got A*A*A* - effectively A1 in every subject - weren't accepted). You may be more academically capable than one who is accepted, but how is each university to know that when you present what are, to be frank, mediocre grades versus someone who presents three As or more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

It's not as clear cut as the points system here. There's an interview too.

If you are aiming at Oxbridge you will be competing with a serious elite of students with top grades. Many will have come from expensive private schools in the UK. They will also be confident and well prepared for their interviews.

Plenty of other excellent universities in the UK. If you're going to go to college in Ireland I would spend time on checking out the reputation of the course you are doing etc.

Magnate wrote: »

Apply with personal statement, predicted grades, and recommendation from school. Oxbridge will call about two thirds for interview, and some of the courses require that students sit an aptitude test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

boombang wrote: »
    It's not as clear cut as the points system here. There's an interview too.

If you are aiming at Oxbridge you will be competing with a serious elite of students with top grades. Many will have come from expensive private schools in the UK. They will also be confident and well prepared for their interviews.

Plenty of other excellent universities in the UK. If you're going to go to college in Ireland I would spend time on checking out the reputation of the course you are doing etc.

That's what I love about the Irish education system, it may be broken but at least it's fair. It's anonymous & money doesn't talk. If you put the work in you're almost guaranteed to get what you want.

Anyway I already have my sights set on a course in Ireland and it requires a near perfect 600 so I'm just considering what other options I have if I'm already aiming for this level. Not enough for Cambridge evidently.

Thanks for the info ;)

Thank you all so much :) If I do get hypothetically Straight A's and took a year gap and applied for Oxford & Cambridge would I have a better chance?

Thank you all so much :) If I do get hypothetically Straight A's and took a year gap and applied for Oxford & Cambridge would I have a better chance?

One can only apply to either Oxford or Cambridge. The historical distinctions in terms of subject-strengths have all but disappeared at undergraduate level, but the perception is that Cambridge is slightly more prestigious for the sciences (especially maths) and Oxford for the humanities.

And, yes...your chances would immeasureably improve. What course are you thinking of?

• Advertisement

One can only apply to either Oxford or Cambridge. The historical distinctions in terms of subject-strengths have all but disappeared at undergraduate level, but the perception is that Cambridge is slightly more prestigious for the sciences (especially maths) and Oxford for the humanities.

And, yes...your chances would immeasureably improve. What course are you thinking of?

I was very interest in Music, I love science and Oxford blends both music and science together!

The requirements for leaving cert is:

"Leaving Certificate with a minimum of grades AAAAB1B1 at Higher / Honours level."

If I'm correct the fees are 11,500, I was looking into a music course in Ireland and those fees were 7,500! I might be able to get a Bursaries which would make it €5800 which oddly be cheaper than here!

I was very interest in Music, I love science and Oxford blends both music and science together!

The requirements for leaving cert is:

"Leaving Certificate with a minimum of grades AAAAB1B1 at Higher / Honours level."

If I'm correct the fees are 11,500, I was looking into a music course in Ireland and those fees were 7,500! I might be able to get a Bursaries which would make it €5800 which oddly be cheaper than here!

Don't let the low requirement fool you: anyone I've heard of who got Oxbridge was given a conditional offer of six A's.

I imagine there'll be other assessment criteria for one applying for Music - listening test, performance, etc.

Best of luck :)

And...what I said about extra-curriculars not being relevant may not be correct in the case of music!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 OscarXC7

Are you taking the year out solely so that you can get into Oxford? Because, if so, I think that is a massive risk as there is a very high chance that you would still not be accepted.

There is nothing wrong with the music courses in Ireland, by the way.

Advertisement