Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What exactly am I entitled to?

• 16-09-2014 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm currently in my first year of college, just after turning 18 and I start work in my new job as Part Time temporary staff till Christmas in an established company and I'm wondering about my tax situation.

I have worked twice in the past of which both times I paid tax, once of which when I was 17 (this time last year) on a similar style of temporary contract and I was charged emergency tax for the entire duration. I have since gotten this tax refunded due to me being under 18.
    Back in early January when I was still 17 was when I got the tax refund.

At the beginning of summer I got another job and only worked two days, of which I was also charged tax (7.41) and I was 18 at the time. Paying class "A" PRSI.

Now that I am starting a "proper" job again, I am wondering, am I entitled to a tax credit since I have worked before, or anything at all, and how do I go about getting one of these?

I will not be earning anything more than €1000 (being generous and after potential tax) for the duration of my contact there.

Thanking you for any advice as I am very confused at the current moment.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Memories wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm currently in my first year of college, just after turning 18 and I start work in my new job as Part Time temporary staff till Christmas in an established company and I'm wondering about my tax situation.

I have worked twice in the past of which both times I paid tax, once of which when I was 17 (this time last year) on a similar style of temporary contract and I was charged emergency tax for the entire duration. I have since gotten this tax refunded due to me being under 18.
    Back in early January when I was still 17 was when I got the tax refund.

At the beginning of summer I got another job and only worked two days, of which I was also charged tax (7.41) and I was 18 at the time. Paying class "A" PRSI.

Now that I am starting a "proper" job again, I am wondering, am I entitled to a tax credit since I have worked before, or anything at all, and how do I go about getting one of these?

I will not be earning anything more than €1000 (being generous and after potential tax) for the duration of my contact there.

Thanking you for any advice as I am very confused at the current moment.

Being under 18 is not the reason you got your tax back . You simply didn't use your tax credits .
    Register for payeanytime and check that you have the paye tax credit and personal tax credit and give your p45 from last role to your new employer

If you think you might have overpaid tax at the end of 2014 you can request a balancing statement on payeanytime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

You can earn up to €10,064 and not pay any PAYE or USC. You might have to pay some PRSI. Just have your tax credit form for your new employer and make a tax return at the end of the year to claim a tax refund

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

Just for clarity, if you exceed the threshold of €10,036 you are liable to pay USC - at 2% on the first €10,036 and 4% on the next €5980, and 7% over €16016.

(Most people in a PAYE employment, with no other taxable income, can earn €16,500 in a full year before they pay PAYE - but I wanted to stress that if you earn over the €10036, you are liable for the 2% USC).

Advertisement