Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raising a Stein.

Options
  • 16-09-2014 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭

Has anybody out there sampled Jagdbitter Herbal Liquer from ALDI ? Is it simply a cheaper, inferior version of Jagermeister ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

some would say that jaegermeister is an inferior version of the rest, as for a "bitter" , its not very bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

is stroh ? the same kind of thing as jagermeister..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Any generic Jäger is disguisting. I have pretty much brought every generic Jäger in Germany and nothing compares to the real thing. I remember once a generic Jäger had 9 out of 15 of us throwing up one night and we didn't drink that much of it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Is it normally drunk on it's own or mixed with other drinks?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

chicorytip wrote: »
    Has anybody out there sampled Jagdbitter Herbal Liquer from ALDI ? Is it simply a cheaper, inferior version of Jagermeister ?

Cheaper ≠ inferior.

A lot of Aldi's liquers and spirits are just rebranded popular brands e.g. their Irish Whiskey is a decent Cooley offering. Their vodka also seems to get decent reviews. Jager is supposed to be drunk ice cold so the Aldi version is probably just as good if you whack it in the freezer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

irish_goat wrote: »
    A lot of Aldi's liquers and spirits are just rebranded popular brands

Really? A lot of company's that make stuff for Aldi own brand are established companies but they don't necessarily just do a rebrand, it's more so a case that they make a different, but similar, product.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Traditionally served in a small glass, chillled and neat, after a meal.

Alternatively, dunked into a glass of rebull and skulled when off your tits.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Really? A lot of company's that make stuff for Aldi own brand are established companies but they don't necessarily just do a rebrand, it's more so a case that they make a different, but similar, product.

There's a list here. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70930797&postcount=1 and there was a thread then somewhere else where someone said they used to work for a dairy company and the Aldi/Lidl products were the exact same as whatever brand the factory was. I'd say loads of companies are it, makes more financial sense. Possibly talked about in the "things the public don't know about your work" thread, or something like that.

O'Hara's swear their Aldi beers are different recipes but they still use the same water, yeast and I'd imagine very similar doses of the same hops and malts, particularly for the red ale.

There's a list here. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70930797&postcount=1 and there was a thread then somewhere else where someone said they used to work for a dairy company and the Aldi/Lidl products were the exact same as whatever brand the factory was. I'd say loads of companies are it, makes more financial sense. Possibly talked about in the "things the public don't know about your work" thread, or something like that.
    The reason why I was asking is because my OH worked for an Irish company that made products for big supermarket chains in Ireland and they certainly weren't rebrands, they were specific products based on client spec. with price being the biggest factor.

O'Hara's swear their Aldi beers are different recipes but they still use the same water, yeast and I'd imagine very similar doses of the same hops and malts, particularly for the red ale.
    I actually spoke to Seamus O'Hara about this the the Beer Fest a couple of years ago. I was asking him why he changed the recipe for the Red Ale when they changed from the 330ml bottle to the 500ml bottle. He swore that it was the same recipe. I don't believe him! :D I drank enough of the 330ml consider myself an expert!

Regarding the full range of Aldi beers, while agree that the base ingredients are more than likely the same, they're totally different in overall finished product. I'd say that the quantity of ingredients (particularly malt and hops) are a lot less in the Aldi range which would mean that it's definitely not a rebrand.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    The reason why I was asking is because my OH worked for an Irish company that made products for big supermarket chains in Ireland and they certainly weren't rebrands, they were specific products based on client spec. with price being the biggest factor.

I actually spoke to Seamus O'Hara about this the the Beer Fest a couple of years ago. I was asking him why he changed the recipe for the Red Ale when they changed from the 330ml bottle to the 500ml bottle. He swore that it was the same recipe. I don't believe him! :D I drank enough of the 330ml consider myself an expert!

Regarding the full range of Aldi beers, while agree that the base ingredients are more than likely the same, they're totally different in overall finished product. I'd say that the quantity of ingredients (particularly malt and hops) are a lot less in the Aldi range which would mean that it's definitely not a rebrand.

It's probably not the case for every brand no, but a lot of Aldi/Lidl products are great so I can't imagine too many are made to be inferior quality.

I too have narked Seamus about the old 330mls.:pac:

The quality of malts would be the same though, O'Hara's use a massive grain silo for their base malt and it wouldn't make sense to order small pallets of cheaper malt for their Aldi beers.

• Advertisement

It's probably not the case for every brand no, but a lot of Aldi/Lidl products are great so I can't imagine too many are made to be inferior quality.
    Different doesn't neccessarily equate to lesser quality though. There was a documentary on BBC or Channel 4 and they showed how they make supermarket own brand sauces and the like. A lot of the time it's just a case of reducing the more expensive ingredients. So it's not a case of using low quality ingredients, more so a case of using less and trying to make them go further.

The quality of malts would be the same though, O'Hara's use a massive grain silo for their base malt and it wouldn't make sense to order small pallets of cheaper malt for their Aldi beers.
    Indeed. Sure I'd imagine that their base malt would be bought at a per/kg cost way less than they could buy a random few pallets of "cheaper" malts.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

totally agree the aldi "specialy selected" red was a superb beer the standard is good/not great. but saying that at 1.89 its still great value.

Advertisement