Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money Cards: can I top up from Credit Union's online banking?

Options
  • 16-09-2014 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi, can anyone tell me if you have to have a debit card to enable the top-up of a money card (O2, Swirl etc) from a bank account? Hope that makes sense.

I do all my banking now with my local credit union, they are SEPA approved and I can do the usual online banking stuff from my account, but they dont issue debit cards. Whenever I search for an answer to this, it seems that debit cards are involved in the top up process if transferring from a bank acc to a money card? Is that correct?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

You can top up an 02 Money card via bank transfer to an irish bank account as long as your bank allows you to put a reference number into the transfer. The reference number is required as otherwise O2 can't allocate the money. You can see your reference number online at the instructions page, just log on, choose Top Up Card / Online Bank transfer and you see instructions, bank account and reference number. Remember you can only top up maximum 500€ plus the fee.

You top up the Swirl card if your credit union allows you to transfer money via SEPA to an account in Luxembourg, info is http://www.swirlcard.com/about_bank_loading.php?country=ie&language=en . It's simple as the account number is just for you.

There is no need for a debit card to top up these cards, you can if you want but as you don't have one you can use online bank transfer, O2 to an irish account and swirlcard to an account in Luxembourg.

However I hope you know that swirlcard charges you 2.99% every time you use it.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 designgirl

There is no need for a debit card to top up these cards, you can if you want but as you don't have one you can use online bank transfer, O2 to an irish account and swirlcard to an account in Luxembourg.

However I hope you know that swirlcard charges you 2.99% every time you use it.

Hope that helps.

Thank you so much for your detailed reply dublin-texas! Yes, I spotted that about Swirl card, I do think the 02 card looks like the most cost effective one at the moment in the long run. Really appreciate the info you've given though as a comparison. I can input a reference when making a payment with my credit union, so that should work out with the o2 card, I hope. Just haven't been absolutely sure if the online banking with CU would qualify as a "bank transfer", but I guess, why not, as long as it's SEPA approved?

I guess I just have to go and physically pick one up now! Thanks again x

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Neteller Net+ MasterCard can also be topped up for free via EFT from any EFT-enabled Irish bank/credit union account.

Also, purchases made on it don't incur any fees so it trumps Swirl and most other cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 designgirl

Quackster wrote: »
    Neteller Net+ MasterCard can also be topped up for free via EFT from any EFT-enabled Irish bank/credit union account.

Also, purchases made on it don't incur any fees so it trumps Swirl and most other cards.

Thanks Quackster, I hadn't heard of that one. Is Mastercard quite as widely accepted as Visa do you reckon?

Advertisement