Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General questions re alarm system for new house owner

Options
  • 16-09-2014 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

I have recently purchased a house (second hand house). There is an alarm in situ but it is not monitored. I would like to put in a decent alarm system and have considered getting cameras put in which I can access on Smartphone.

My questions are:
    1. Am I best off getting a security company to handle all of this, installation etc?
    2. Is there any particular security companies you can recommend, presumably by PM?
    3. Re:CCTV/Smart phone remote access - is there any particular brands, types of CCTV/Apps that would be highly recommended?
    4. Any other general advice would be welcome!

I am Dublin based.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭altor

I have recently purchased a house (second hand house). There is an alarm in situ but it is not monitored. I would like to put in a decent alarm system and have considered getting cameras put in which I can access on Smartphone.

My questions are:
    1. Am I best off getting a security company to handle all of this, installation etc?
    2. Is there any particular security companies you can recommend, presumably by PM?
    3. Re:CCTV/Smart phone remote access - is there any particular brands, types of CCTV/Apps that would be highly recommended?
    4. Any other general advice would be welcome!

I am Dublin based.

Its really up to yourself what you feel comfortable doing. Is the alarm upgrade a requirement of your insurance company? If so then you may need a certified company to install the system for you. Remote access to cameras on an app is common to most system used in today's markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Buyingcar2012

altor wrote: »
    Its really up to yourself what you feel comfortable doing. Is the alarm upgrade a requirement of your insurance company? If so then you may need a certified company to install the system for you. Remote access to cameras on an app is common to most system used in today's markets.

Is there any company you would recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭altor

Is there any company you would recommend?

I would recommend having a look for local installers on the PSA website here. Getting at lease 3 quotations comparing like with like.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

I've used Foscam for a decent, budget priced Wi-Fi IP camera which you can watch on a smartphone. If you want local recording then, something like a sinology NAS would be a good option. They have good CCTV software built in, but you have to buy a license for each camera (you get 1 free).

Axis also make a good camera, but are a lot more expensive. You can always mix and match.

They are very easy to install like this, but it would help if you know the basics of home networking. If you use Wifi cameras, you only need power to each one. others allow you to power them over the network cable, but you need a special router to support that.

Worth chatting to an alarm company and asking for a system in your price range - but you could have a good, home installed system like the above with 6 cameras for around ~€1000

Advertisement