Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Marketing Career - Is it now a low paid career?

Options
  • 16-09-2014 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Mods: Okay i have posted here as i feel that this post is more relevant when discussed with people who work in the area.

With all the digital marketing courses available now i think this has reduced the jobs market to effectively an intern jobs market. Every second job in digital marketing seems to be an intern position otherwise we are talking about a very low paid job. The rest of the sector is then made up of digital agencies that have set up "last week" apart from a very few select agencies that have been going years. Unless you have a masters these agencies probably will not look at you.

I have seen a few promotional emails recently via the Digital marketing Institute recently with people who have started their own agency with the whole "i did the course now i work for myself etc etc" blah blah.

So my question : Is the whole digital marketing industry run on interns? Is it all y2k all over again here until digital marketing and traditional marketing combine into one job.

Your thoughts on the area? and experience of the jobs market if any?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I suspect there's a mixture
    A lot of people who claim to be digital marketing professionals probably aren't yet they've been demanding high salaries

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

1sky wrote: »
    Mods: Okay i have posted here as i feel that this post is more relevant when discussed with people who work in the area.

With all the digital marketing courses available now i think this has reduced the jobs market to effectively an intern jobs market. Every second job in digital marketing seems to be an intern position otherwise we are talking about a very low paid job. The rest of the sector is then made up of digital agencies that have set up "last week" apart from a very few select agencies that have been going years. Unless you have a masters these agencies probably will not look at you.

I have seen a few promotional emails recently via the Digital marketing Institute recently with people who have started their own agency with the whole "i did the course now i work for myself etc etc" blah blah.

So my question : Is the whole digital marketing industry run on interns? Is it all y2k all over again here until digital marketing and traditional marketing combine into one job.

Your thoughts on the area? and experience of the jobs market if any?

Agencies hire interns as there is such a skills gap in the area they cannot find anyone to take the job.

Non Agency Companies know that digital marketing is important but cannot quantify its value. Hence they hire interns as a low cost approach.

Those DMI courses are rubbish and you learn FA. On the job training is best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I've only ever met 2 good digital marketing experts. Too many people jump on the job title. I know of on-the-road sales people who have digital marketeer job titles but they don't do digital marketing, they just sell digital products.

Advertisement