Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lunchtime runs

Options
  • 16-09-2014 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

Just wondering if many of you go for a quick run at lunchtime?

Finding it hard to find time to get out for runs with a young family and while I've gone out for a few runs at lunch, haven't really been able to get into a proper routine. Find it hard to get a worthwhile run in and get washed up in the hour.

The fact that I'm the only person in a staff of 250 that would even dream bout doing it doesn't help. You kinda get the impression that they think you obviously not that busy if you have time for a run!

Just interested to know if many of you do run at lunch and if you experience the same issues.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Swing it by your manager if your worried about perception. Do all runs under 1 hour-ish at lunchtimes, but I put any time back in the evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Used to do them regularly, back doing them this week now.

I was lucky that we had a shower in our old office but our new one doesn't. So I just bring my wash gear anyway and use the sink and wet corner of a towel, you can do a decent job that way.

Trick for me was to get out the door as soon as lunch starts, otherwise you'll convince yourself you won't get time to do a decent one if you're still around 10/15 minutes into your lunch break. I used to do 10k, sometimes longer, during my break and eat lunch at my desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Brewski78

I do most of my running at lunchtime, I've a young family too so find it's the handiest. I find I can get in an 8km run in about 40 mins, back at the desk within the hour having showered and have a quick sandwich.

I try to do this about 3 or 4 times a week and it has meant that I'm running a lot more consistently than before and then if I can squeeze in a longer run at the weekend or early morning one of the weekdays then it's ideal for me.

It becomes habit after a very short time and once lunchtime hits I'm up and out without even really thinking about it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

yeah - trying to get one a week at the mo in the run up to DCM 14. Local track is only a few mins drive away.

generally keep lunch runs for track 400 or 800 intervals

it does take me a little over the hour Incl drive to /from and the shower (one in the office) I generally work a bit over most days anyway so don't care about the occasional late lunch

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

2-3 times a week. Generally keeping it around 45-50 mins for the run component. Eat lunch then at my desk and make up the time through earlier starts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

The fact that I'm the only person in a staff of 250 that would even dream bout doing it doesn't help. You kinda get the impression that they think you obviously not that busy if you have time for a run!

If you're concerned about what others think (which is fair enough), it can go the other way too; people might think you're a real go-getter by running at lunch and not reading the Daily Mail at your desk eating a bag of crisps! :P
    I've had plenty of nice encouraging comments from people over the years. (An equal amount of WTF too though..)

I'd be surprised if nobody else would run at lunch, but maybe it's more common in the industry I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

It all depends on who you are and the impression it gives.If you are in management etc .If you are able to find time every day to do it then it looks that you are not busy even though you might be good a time management. People love finding fault and no one ever complains about the people taking 5 smoking breaks a day. Personally I would keep it on the low that you are doing it as there is always people who give out. Probably one of the smokers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I run at lunch time and I think its the best use of time. It means I can do other stuff in the evening, also getting out of the office for a while is another advantage. I do keep my runs to 30 mins, to ensure I dont go over the hour to include getting cleaned up and lunch. As for other peoples opinions, they wish they were running :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

I try to get out 3/4 times a week at lunchtime - evenings busy with kids etc. have started cycling to work now too (6.5 miles each way) so will end up either super fit or absolutely wrecked ! Really miss the lunchtime runs if I can't get out for any reason

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I've tried it a few times but don't generally enjoy it. 60 minutes is not long enough to get changed, get a decent run in and shower and then sort lunch (even to eat at your desk). Luckily we're flexible enough and I'm always in at least 30 mins early in the mornings so I can do the one hour run + the rest without anyone watching the clock. Few others run too which helps...not a big fan of lunchtime runs though.

Recent phenomenon is going to work earlier and doing it before work. I only leave the house about 30 minutes earlier than I normally would to sit in traffic...and it's a lovely relaxing feeling enjoying an easy run while running past people in the traffic you'd normally be sitting in. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭kao123

Are you entitled to an hour for lunch? then if your manager / boss is ok with it then go for it, I wouldn't be surprised if others eventually joined you every lunchtime.
    There's a few of us that do it where I work and I find that when running with someone else the pace is usually a bit quicker which gets us back for more work :-)
    Depending on any time limitations we do either a 5, 8 or 10K so there's always a run to suit everyone.
    It's become a habit at this stage so we are lucky I guess, meetings have been known to be moved to accommodate the "runners" !
    It's also great to have the days run done and dusted, so I can have a bit of an evening at home too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,597 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Have started doing lunchtime runs recently and love it....the shortening evenings, young fella at home and course work have meant that getting out after work is becoming very awkward.

Feel very refreshed and alert after some afternoon exercise...deffo beats sitting around a drab cantine listening to people crapping on about work.

**Warning**
    Be careful what intensity level you hit during the runs though - went out last week like a pillock and ran 8 x 800m and generallly bust a nut and gut. Came back, had a quick shower but was sweating like a pig at my desk for a good 45 mins. :eek:

Have taken now to doing more leisurely runs which seems to have negated the sweat tsunami threat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

I wear a vest under my shirt post run & shower on such days, gets rid of the dreaded sweaty back. A colleague suggested it, works a treat. I wouldn't usually be pumping sweat after a run, but at lunch it's harder to cool down, hot showers, stuffy shirt and tie, dressing in a hurry etc...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

just back from one. get one in usually 3 days a week, handily we have showers and there are a few others that do it

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

I do all my midweek runs either at lunchtime or before work due to a young family. I do the longer runs before work and the easy/recovery runs at lunchtime. this morning for example I drove to work ready for my 10mile run and parked up and I was back at my desk and showered by 7-30. tomorrow then for example I will run 5mile at lunchtime. I am lucky as we have decent enough shower facilities at work and I work flexitime.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I try to run at lunchtime but today I forgot all about it, had a work issue to deal with for most the morning!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

I've tried it a few times but don't generally enjoy it. 60 minutes is not long enough to get changed, get a decent run in and shower and then sort lunch (even to eat at your desk).

Pffft...just not running hard enough, RQ....

I snook out today for a spin along Sandymount Strand - place was packed with runners.
    With the good weather and the marathon looming, lots of people hitting the streets at lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Just wondering if many of you go for a quick run at lunchtime?

Finding it hard to find time to get out for runs with a young family and while I've gone out for a few runs at lunch, haven't really been able to get into a proper routine. Find it hard to get a worthwhile run in and get washed up in the hour.

Just interested to know if many of you do run at lunch and if you experience the same issues.

In the last five companies I have worked in I asked my manager. "If I come in 15-20 minutes early can I take longer lunches to go running?" Was fine

tunney wrote: »
    In the last five companies I have worked in I asked my manager. "If I come in 15-20 minutes early can I take longer lunches to go running?" Was fine

Most managers probably wouldn't have a problem it's the other staff that like to bitch about it. Usually on their fag breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭irishmanmick

Sounds like I should try get a job in some of the companies you guys are working for!!

Think I'm going to try give it a bash and see how it goes for a while. My boss won't have a problem with it.

Good to hear so many people out at lunch, very sparse out my way at lunch. Maybe rope one or two others into it is the way to go. The more doing the more normal it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

I work in a company that has own gym (and runs classes before work and at lunchtime) so people are very much used to doing a workout during lunch break (and seeing weirdos around =)
    Sometimes I run to work (not sure if that is an option for you)
    I meet good few people running at lunch time.
    I think once you're entitled to lunch break, it's up to you how you gonna spend that time.
    And I'd people look at you funny... well that's their issue, not yours!
    Go for a run I say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

I run along the grand canal at lunchtimes.
    Can get 5 miles in plus a shower in the 60 mins.

I snack on fruit during the day so don't have a big lunch.

I'm not the only one in the office that does it & I also see plenty of others out during lunch too.

Young family here too so it's the only time I get during the week really.
    Get a longer run in then at the weekend.

frash wrote: »
    I run along the grand canal at lunchtimes.
    Can get 5 miles in plus a shower in the 60 mins.

I snack on fruit during the day so don't have a big lunch.

I'm not the only one in the office that does it & I also see plenty of others out during lunch too.

Young family here too so it's the only time I get during the week really.
    Get a longer run in then at the weekend.

I go along the grand canal too - Portobello to Drimnagh sections mostly - maybe we pass each other :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

kit3 wrote: »
    I go along the grand canal too - Portobello to Drimnagh sections mostly - maybe we pass each other :)

No I'm working further west.
    Running near Nangor Rd.

frash wrote: »
    No I'm working further west.
    Running near Nangor Rd.

Nice section there - I cycle in from there along the canal - great facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

If you have an hour's break away from work, then who give's a damn where you spend your time? Whether it be shops/bookies/dry cleaners/barbers/stuck at your desk reading (boards!) or out on the road de-stressing and preparing for the second half of your day....to hell with the begrudgers. Go enjoy your run;)

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

My last 2 jobs I've run at lunch
    It's a great way to fit it in with a family. Can do an easy 5 miles, shower and be back at the desk within the hour. I've even managed to do the odd speed session. I'm not a clock watcher so my employers are still net gainers with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Ecoenergy

I've got a young family too and I'd be lost without my lunchtime runs. I do 3 mid length runs between 10 - 13 miles and 2 short runs 5 - 6 miles. On the longer days I come into the office at 7.30 instead of 8.30 and take a 1.5 - 2 hour lunch. It's worth getting up early to get all my runs in.

I approached the boss before doing this obviously. It probably helps that he's into running as well.;)

Izoard wrote: »
    Pffft...just not running hard enough, RQ....

I snook out today for a spin along Sandymount Strand - place was packed with runners.
    With the good weather and the marathon looming, lots of people hitting the streets at lunchtime.

I know I'm absolutely unbelievably amazing but it's hard, even for someone of my advanced skills, to fit a 70 minute run into an hour ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement