Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Door Costs

Options
  • 16-09-2014 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭

Replacing our old sliding door in dining room - came with house when built in 1997 (we bought house a few years ago)

Have a number of quotes ranging from €1050 to €1650.

Supply & installation. 56inch by 78inch opening.

My main concern is the installation element and ensuring the door is fitted 100% flush and draught free.

How to suss out is best in this regard?

Are the quote above reasonable? Lowest look too low or highest too high?

The 1650 quote is for a 0.85 u value triple glazed option for example. How relevant is u-value anyway when house isn't brilliantly insulated?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Replacing our old sliding door in dining room - came with house when built in 1997 (we bought house a few years ago)

Have a number of quotes ranging from €1050 to €1650.

Supply & installation. 56inch by 78inch opening.

My main concern is the installation element and ensuring the door is fitted 100% flush and draught free.

1. How to suss out is best in this regard?
    2. Are the quote above reasonable?
    3. Lowest look too low or highest too high?
    4. The 1650 quote is for a 0.85 u value triple glazed option for example.
    5. How relevant is u-value anyway when house isn't brilliantly insulated?

1. tough one, air-tightness is generally not left to window installers
    2. yes very, i assume their for pvc
    3. you havent really given enough info
    4. go with that, assuming you get data sheet & certifcation of U-value
    5. really poor Analogy coming up:): lets say your buying hat, do you buy a poorer quality hat because you're not wearing a coat?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

BryanF wrote: »
    [/LIST]
    1. tough one, air-tightness is generally not left to window installers
    2. yes very, i assume their for pvc
    3. you havent really given enough info
    4. go with that, assuming you get data sheet & certifcation of U-value
    5. really poor Analogy coming up:): lets say your buying hat, do you buy a poorer quality hat because you're not wearing a coat?

Thanks BryanF.

1. Our current sliding door is a big problem in this regard - glass is obviously 1997 version, but whoever put in alarm drilled hole for wires and it's draughty there at top of the door. I've done best to fill in. There is some sort of airhole/vent in back of one part too- why, no idea. Have it filled in with tissue paper at present.

2. Yes PVC - budget is tight, we've twin babies which cleaned us out. Their buggy being one reason I want french doors - can't get in/out sliding one with it.

3. Lowest quote is A rated 1.1 U value - €700 for doors & €350 fitting.

4. Thanks for input

5. I like the analogy personally - just wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting extra money on triple glazed. Same crowd who quoted at 4 - quoted €100 less for double glazed version at 1.35 u-valu. Said most of the cost is in labour anyway.

- That's what concerns me re cheapest quote noted at 3 above - worried about them being 'thrown in' as per concerns at no. 1.

Two further questions

6. Is there anything I could ask either company about in terms of installation that might help me suss out 1? I wouldn't have the technical knowledge to phrase it. Maybe I should just ask how they insure they are not draughty around the edges - i.e. something like what is their process in this regard?

7. Should I be concerned re windy days - in terms of not braking hinges (happened by parents conservatory door). Do people avoid using french doors in winter? Or is there ways around this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭893bet

My 0.2 cent.

I would go with the 1.1 rated door and use the 500 you save else where, be it insulation in the attic or even use it to pay for an energy survey to identify future improvements that will give you the best return.

893bet wrote: »
    My 0.2 cent.

I would go with the 1.1 rated door and use the 500 you save else where, be it insulation in the attic or even use it to pay for an energy survey to identify future improvements that will give you the best return.

Thanks. I will maybe go this option if satisfied that installation will be done right.

The €1650 came from a joinery crowd that have been recommended on here a number of times so that was encouraging.

Cheapest quote is a local firm - will try find out more/get recommendation. did see one recommendation for them on North county dublin forum.

We've attic insulation in place. Can't have our cavity pumped as the walls are battened out and 50 mm of wool then slabbed on hollow block.

Can't afford external insulation at present and internal too messy, and lose too much space for small 3 bed semi.

Trying to tackle draughts and other issues.

Back of house is west facing (into wind) and cold and draughty.

Thinking replacing the crappy sliding door and putting a stove in the living room might be the way to go but all comments welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭893bet

Thanks. I will maybe go this option if satisfied that installation will be done right.

The €1650 came from a joinery crowd that have been recommended on here a number of times so that was encouraging.

Cheapest quote is a local firm - will try find out more/get recommendation. did see one recommendation for them on Niorth county dublin forum.

We've attic insulation in place. Can't have our cavity pumped as the walls are battened out and 50 mm of wool then slabbed on hollow block.

Can't afford external insulation at present and internal too messy, and lose too much space for small 3 bed semi.

Trying to tackle draughts and other issues.

Back of house is west facing (into wind) and cold and draughty.

Thinking replacing the crappy sliding door and putting a stove in the living room might be the way to go but all comments welcome.

How much attic insulation is in place?

• Advertisement

893bet wrote: »
    How much attic insulation is in place?

300mm, got it topped up last year (was 120-150mm) and storage area put in.

Got a new quote of;

€1360 including VAT for 28mm double glazed or €1490 including VAT for 40mm triple glazed.

'This is for “A” Rated Pilkington Ks safety glass, argon gas filled with a warm edge seal. The doors have a twelve point locking system and anti-snap key cylinders to maximise security.'

Still thinking i'll go triple glazed and probably visit both suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

Hi Kenny,

I've just bought a house and I'm looking for the same as what you've been searching.
    Would you mind pm'ing me your supplier?

I'd really appreciate it

Many thanks
    Z
    Got a new quote of;

€1360 including VAT for 28mm double glazed or €1490 including VAT for 40mm triple glazed.

'This is for “A” Rated Pilkington Ks safety glass, argon gas filled with a warm edge seal. The doors have a twelve point locking system and anti-snap key cylinders to maximise security.'

Zadkiel wrote: »
    Hi Kenny,

I've just bought a house and I'm looking for the same as what you've been searching.
    Would you mind pm'ing me your supplier?

I'd really appreciate it

Many thanks
    Z

PM on the way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Hi Kenny, what did you opt for in the end? Could you PM your supplier? Looking for someone North county Dublin myself.
    Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Chisler2

Got a new quote of;

Please P.M. me the details of your suppliers. Looks like just what I need so very helpful as I struggle with the 'sliding-doors vs. French windows' issue.

redser7 wrote: »
    Hi Kenny, what did you opt for in the end? Could you PM your supplier? Looking for someone North county Dublin myself.
    Thanks!

PM on it's way

Chisler2 wrote: »
    Please P.M. me the details of your suppliers. Looks like just what I need so very helpful as I struggle with the 'sliding-doors vs. French windows' issue.

PM on it's way

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭colcatscar

Hi. Also looking at getting French doors. Would appreciate a PM containing details of who you used.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

colcatscar wrote: »
    Hi. Also looking at getting French doors. Would appreciate a PM containing details of who you used.
    aaarrrggghhh! Why can't people just pm the OP instead of resurrecting old threads??????

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Paddytheman

Hey Kenny any chance of a PM? cheers

Advertisement