Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of joining judo

Options
  • 16-09-2014 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

i am thinking of joining a judo club .anyone know is it any good.is it very disciplined and is it expensive.thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

skelping wrote: »
    i am thinking of joining a judo club .anyone know is it any good.is it very disciplined and is it expensive.thanks

Where are you?. No pointing in pointing you towards Portmarnock Judo club if you're in Limerick!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 skelping

Where are you?. No pointing in pointing you towards Portmarnock Judo club if you're in Limerick!.
    In oranmore.theirs a club near me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

skelping wrote: »
    i am thinking of joining a judo club .anyone know is it any good.

Yes it is good, if the club is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭hurpederp

Judo is the bomb. Source : Rousey highlight videos and getting tossed about by skilled judo people while grappling. Also Yoshihiro Akiyama

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Alphac

Are there any clubs in South Dublin? Seems a terrible shame if there's not - there's about 4 or 5 BJJ/MMA places within a few miles of where I live and no judo! Clearly there's interest out there for grappling arts.

If anyone is interested I would be glad to see how far we can push it forward.

Just let me know.

Al.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 blot

Just wondering is there anyone out there using the black judo GI, I know only Blue or white can be used in competitions. I am thinking of using one in my club as an Instructor.

blot wrote: »
    Just wondering is there anyone out there using the black judo GI, I know only Blue or white can be used in competitions. I am thinking of using one in my club as an Instructor.

I don't get you.

Are you going to instruct Judo?.

If you're a Judoka you should know there are no black Judo Gi, only blue and white.. In fact a lot of purists won't even entertain the idea of a blue Gi outside competition.

In short, there are no black Judo Gi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 blot

Yes there is my friend, Blitz, MAR and other do them, they are being used in some dojo's internationally, and as i said earlier I know only Blue or white can be used in competitions, but is there any clubs using them here in Ireland.
    Yes I am an instructor with over 30 years experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Judo clubs don't use black gis. Those black gis are mainly for jujitsu. There are three basic cuts of keikogi: judo style with a seam down the back, aikido style with no seam, and Brazilian which is like a judogi but less baggy. Depending on the style of jujitsu you do you will use one of these, though I think some places will leave this to personal preference.

We used to have some guys train in black jujitsu gis in one of my old clubs because we weren't going to make them buy new equipment just because of colour, but if you are getting a new gi, white would be the best option, or blue if you already have a white one.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,155 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

blot wrote: »
    Yes there is my friend, Blitz, MAR and other do them, they are being used in some dojo's internationally, and as i said earlier I know only Blue or white can be used in competitions, but is there any clubs using them here in Ireland.
    Yes I am an instructor with over 30 years experience.

I imagine that's a BJJ gi, not a judo gi.
    The two aren't the same.

• Advertisement

Get a black Jitz gi then and instruct in that.

I'm not a purest and couldn't really care what color gi someone wears, but I dislike my training partners wearing BJJ gi during randori.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭hurpederp

Yeah, if you are training Judo wear a Judo gi if possible, the cut is all different and it affects gripping strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Nappy

Is there any Judo clubs in South Dublin?

Advertisement