Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Time pressure sensor fault warning - NCT fail

Options
  • 16-09-2014 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭

I am planning to put my car in for its NCT soon. A few months I got a flat because the valve broke on the tyre. There are tyre pressure sensors on the tyres. Unfortunately I didn't have the cash to get a new sensor so just got a regular tyre and valve. As a result, I get a warning message on the dash and a "SERVICE" message - just for the lack of sensor in the valve. Everything else is fine.

Would this be an NCT fail?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Soo disappointed, had hoped to see pretty advanced propulsion system if it needed to measure "time pressure"

Does the warning specifically mention tyre pressure or a sensor fault? Might be ok. Any pictures?

If its a general WARNING light then maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Look at the NCT Manual, under the "Malfunction Indicators" section. No mention of tyre pressure warnings there, so it should be OK. Only Air Bag, brake and ESC warnings (or indicators not working) should fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭highdef

Anjobe wrote: »
    Look at the NCT Manual, under the "Malfunction Indicators" section. No mention of tyre pressure warnings there, so it should be OK. Only Air Bag, brake and ESC warnings (or indicators not working) should fail.

Just actually had a read through that and although it does not cover it, the first message I get says "tyre pressure sensor fault" followed by "SERVICE" which remains.....it is the "SERVICE" indicator that has me thinking as it is not specific even though I know it is directly related to the tyre pressure warning. Even if the windscreen washer fluid is running low "SERVICE" is displayed whenever the "windscreen washer fluid level low" is not displaying.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭BHP

Anjobe wrote: »

That looks like an old NCT manual. The link on their web site page - http://www.ncts.ie/the_test.html gives this version of the manual - http://www.ncts.ie/pdf/NCT%20Manual%20July%202014.pdf

Page 94 - MALFUNCTION INDICATORS - suggests that this would be a failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

highdef wrote: »
    I am planning to put my car in for its NCT soon. A few months I got a flat because the valve broke on the tyre. There are tyre pressure sensors on the tyres. Unfortunately I didn't have the cash to get a new sensor so just got a regular tyre and valve. As a result, I get a warning message on the dash and a "SERVICE" message - just for the lack of sensor in the valve. Everything else is fine.

Would this be an NCT fail?

Citroen C5?

It's not an NCT fail. Any warnings that cause an NCT failure will throw the STOP light or EML, not the service light (with the possible exception of the low brake pad warning, but I don't think that's an NCT failure either, as it's not a brake fault).

The pressure sensors can be coded out to remove the error also, if you're ever in the Limerick area let me know.

• Advertisement

Thanks BHP and dougie-lampkin - It's a Renault Vel Satis. Was thinking of getting the indicator disabled but it's probably just as cheap to get the valve replaced. Car is going great otherwise. Runs like a dream.

According to the latest NCT manual (I was looking at an older one, as mentioned), it does indeed look like it would be a failure. I have mailed NCT anyway to see what they have to say but I think I have already got the answer I was looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

highdef wrote: »
    Thanks BHP and dougie-lampkin - It's a Renault Vel Satis. Was thinking of getting the indicator disabled but it's probably just as cheap to get the valve replaced. Car is going great otherwise. Runs like a dream.

According to the latest NCT manual (I was looking at an older one, as mentioned), it does indeed look like it would be a failure. I have mailed NCT anyway to see what they have to say but I think I have already got the answer I was looking for.

Isn't a fail item - I put an Avensis through last week with the EML light on(lambda sensor gone) and it passed no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

As already stated, nct manual,section 60, page 94.
    Quite clear that it is fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭BHP

Isn't a fail item - I put an Avensis through last week with the EML light on(lambda sensor gone) and it passed no bother.

But the OP was not asking about the EML. The EML is not an automatic fail .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

BHP wrote: »
    But the OP was not asking about the EML. The EML is not an automatic fail .

No, he's asking about the service light being on/tyre pressure sensor warning light. I can read, thanks. It's not a fail. Airbag light, ABS light are fails.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

No, he's asking about the service light being on/tyre pressure sensor warning light. I can read, thanks. It's not a fail. Airbag light, ABS light are fails.

It is, an indicated fault in the TPMS is specifically mentioned as being a fail in the latest NCT manual. I didn't think it was either until I looked it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

My understanding is that the thing shows a TPS fault then goes to service, if so, then if the mechanic spots the TPS bit it should fail

Spook_ie wrote: »
    My understanding is that the thing shows a TPS fault then goes to service, if so, then if the mechanic spots the TPS bit it should fail

That's exactly it. Better go get a new valve from Renault so

Advertisement