Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog neutered next week

Options
  • 16-09-2014 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

my 6 month old cross terrier is getting spayed next week in the dspca?

any advice on what to expect after ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

She will come home like she's jarred and will sleep for a good while.

She will have to wear a cone to keep her from the stitches. Some dogs don't bother with their stitches at all. Our lady here showed no interest in them at all when we would take off the cone of shame to give her a break.

If there is another dog in the house, he/she may be interested in the stitches and you might need a second cone.

Depending on the dog herself, she may not be as able or keen to jump up on furniture, run up stairs etc. for the next week, but again, this varies and some are belting around in no time no bother. Just keep an eye on the stitches that any exertions are not opening them

The stitches should be out in a week and a half or so. She'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,449 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

deadwood85 wrote: »
    my 6 month old cross terrier is getting spayed next week in the dspca?

any advice on what to expect after ?

Mine got done last week,

Collected her at 4 and she looked at me as if to say "What's happened"?

Groggy all night so best to just leave alone somewhere quiet where she can rest, Leave water and food out but chances are wont go near the food at all.

The next day she was still groggy (not as bad) Slipped the pain killers into some hotdog sausage that she likes and again left her alone. She ate a small bit but drank plenty

Day 2 she was much better, again gave her the painkillers in hotdog, Ate all of her food and was much more lively. Took her for a walk and seemed to enjoy being back out.

Day 3 was last day of tablets but tbh i don't think she needed them. Took the collar off that night and kept an eye on her, she wasn't at the area so left it off and she is great.

Yesterday went for long run around the fields and she is jumping about as normal. Back to the vet on Thursday for quick check up but no worries from what i can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Wow that's great to hear Timberrrrrrrr! I had decided to go with keyhole spay for my dog with a different vet but after my other dog had a serious problem over the last few weeks I changed my mind and decided to go with traditional spay with my own vet who I trust and is also on my doorstep if anything goes wrong.

Advertisement