Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

maintenance payment

Options
  • 16-09-2014 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi If I could get some advice here that would be great :)

I have a 16 years old son whose mother has moved to Kildare, His School and football team are in my local area so now he stays with me 4 or 5 nights a week because its easier on him getting to and from. During this 4or 5 days he gets all meals clothing accommodation and pocket money I pay for football subs and so on and all financial need from him are looked after by me.

I am still giving a maintenance payment each month of €300 and she receives the children s allowance and the 1 parent tax credit which was taken away from me in January.

Does this situation seem fair and right or should I suggest that seen as he is with me the majority of the week that there should be some change.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would talk to an expert but as he lives with you I would not be paying maintenance for him. Do you pay spousal maintenance too?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'd be of the opinion that she should be paying you maintenance if you have primary custody of your boy. And the child allowance should be yours.

I'd seek expert advice here if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭gavindublin

The one family payment has been changed to an spcc1 form (or similar)

The other parent fills in the spcc2 if they qualify for it instead.

by 4 or 5 nights your the parent qualifying for the payment and not her. So id amend that. All the info regarding how many nights and residing time to make you eligible is on the form.

cant help on the maintenance bit sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Frank Boggins

Thanks man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

by 4 or 5 nights your the parent qualifying for the payment and not her. So id amend that.
    I'd get legal advice first. It would not be the first time that the non-custodial parent de facto is the custodial parent and when they try to reverse the financial situation, the child is taken back pronto because a de facto custodial parent is not a de jure one - it is, after all, worth a fair bit of money to her.

See to your official status as a custodial parent first. Talk to a solicitor.

• Advertisement
Advertisement