Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresher's Week - Too much noise!

Options
  • 16-09-2014 9:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭

I'm pretty shocked that the university is allowing so much noise on campus this week.

I was trying to get a load of complicated work done and decided to use the Boole Library and all I could hear was thumping dance music.

It was worse in the O'Rahilly Building.

How is this acceptable? A DJ blasting out music in the middle of an academic campus is totally unnecessary.

Have freshers' week by all means but, keep the damn noise down!

It shouldn't be interfering with an entire week of teaching and research activities.

I'm all in favour of an active social life on campus but, that's completely possible without blasting music at high volumes from outdoor speakers.

Some of us have serious work to do and many of us have paid big money for postgraduate programmes or are working on research.

It's really unfair for anyone who is actually busy. We're not all freshers!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Loud music is, and has always, been permitted between 1pm - 2pm for the general university lunch period. If it's too loud for you, move to another area of the library. Move to the opposite end of the orb. Find another room on campus. The importance of peoples work out of it, you'll need to find quiet and secluded spaces for studying on campus throughout the whole year anyway, so why not start exploring now. Try the bottom floor of the library, its postgrads only as far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

magicianz wrote: »
    Loud music is, and has always, been permitted between 1pm - 2pm for the general university lunch period. If it's too loud for you, move to another area of the library. Move to the opposite end of the orb. Find another room on campus. The importance of peoples work out of it, you'll need to find quiet and secluded spaces for studying on campus throughout the whole year anyway, so why not start exploring now. Try the bottom floor of the library, its postgrads only as far as I'm aware.

This would be fine if there was no lectures at 1-2. I had two lectures last week at this time in the ORB and couldn't hear what my lecturer was saying due to the noise. It is a learning environment, not a party one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Luno wrote: »
    This would be fine if there was no lectures at 1-2. I had two lectures last week at this time in the ORB and couldn't hear what my lecturer was saying due to the noise. It is a learning environment, not a party one.

We had to basically abandon a meeting because we couldn't hear over it! We'd the same issue in the ORB.

There are a lot of lectures scheduled for 1 to 2 and there's no "traditional lunch time" on campus other than for administration staff.

Personally, I think it's totally unacceptable.

The food markets and all that stuff last week caused no issue because they're not using huge speakers and booming out dance music.

From a visiting academic or students point of view it looks and sounds absolutely ridiculous.

Lectures and research go on all day and are way more important than a commercial radio station promoting itself on campus which is all that was going on.

Also the university has other spaces far away from classroom and office space. Why not hold it down at the main gate area where it wouldn't disturb anyone?

There's also a full multifunction hall in the student centre for containing loud noises!
    magicianz wrote: »
    Move to the opposite end of the orb. Find another room on campus. The importance of peoples work out of it, you'll need to find quiet and secluded spaces for studying on campus throughout the whole year anyway, so why not start exploring now. Try the bottom floor of the library, its postgrads only as far as I'm aware.

That's not possible due to locked in schedules and I'm very familiar with the campus and not looking for a "secluded space" thanks.

It's not unreasonable to expect office, class and library space to be reasonably quiet in a university campus.

Also Freshers' week is supposed to be over by now :

Freshers Week 2014 will take place from 8 - 14 September.

http://www.ucc.ie/en/anml/events/freshers/

None of those events created a disturbance. It was the live outside broadcast being done commercially as if it were in a shopping centre that caused the only major issue for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Thinking back to it, my lectures were on at 2-3 not the 1-2 time that 'allows' music.

• Advertisement

I just hope it's not going to be a regular occurrence

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Apopholis

Luno wrote: »
    Thinking back to it, my lectures were on at 2-3 not the 1-2 time that 'allows' music.

I'm not sure how it works for external groups, but I do know that for the DJ society amphitheatre events, the 1-2 rule is strongly enforced. The college do tend to be a bit more relaxed about it over Fresher's Week though, it must be said.
    SpaceTime wrote:
    I just hope it's not going to be a regular occurrence

Outside of once-off fundraiser type things during the year, like the Aid for Gaza on Monday, I don't think you need to worry until rag week. :P

Advertisement