Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would Donkey Kong Country look like if made with the Doom engine?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Asking the hard hitting questions that need answers all day every day

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

It looks different?

What's the point of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I see blood sometimes, in a Donkey Kong game?! :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Jeez lads, it's just a bit of fun. Thanks for sharing Retr0.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just thought it was interesting that someone put the hard work into recreating Donkey Kong in the Doom engine which is a massive undertaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Zillah wrote: »
    It looks different?

Very different - it's a different engine. I take it you haven't played Donkey Kong Country in a long time? Or else were playing a version with 3D backgrounds? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I thought it looked worse :P

I thought it looked worse :P

240p is doing it no favours.

The only difference I can clearly see is the 3D platforms.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

While I can certainly admire the technical ingenuity in these types of projects, it seems to me time that could be spent creating something more, well, creative. These sorts of people are obviously immensely talented coders and game designers, but to put that towards simply recreating someone else's creation? Seems like a lot of man hours for what goal? Again, can't begrudge the talent on display, and obviously there's enough of a passion and interest in these sorts of projects. But personally I find it a bit futile.

I do find it interesting when someone manages to port Doom to a printer, though :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

While I can certainly admire the technical ingenuity in these types of projects, it seems to me time that could be spent creating something more, well, creative. These sorts of people are obviously immensely talented coders and game designers, but to put that towards simply recreating someone else's creation? Seems like a lot of man hours for what goal? Again, can't begrudge the talent on display, and obviously there's enough of a passion and interest in these sorts of projects. But personally I find it a bit futile.

I do find it interesting when someone manages to port Doom to a printer, though :pac:

Porting Doom is simple since the source code is freely available. As for how pointless these projects are, something like this would look extremely good on a CV. A lot of people do small projects as a coding portfolio, sure what do you think all those game jams are mainly used for? :)

I myself am coding my games collision engine from scratch. I could just use Box 2D but won't because it's a great coding exercise and would look good if I ever need to get back into coding again.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Porting Doom is simple since the source code is freely available. As for how pointless these projects are, something like this would look extremely good on a CV. A lot of people do small projects as a coding portfolio, sure what do you think all those game jams are mainly used for? :)

I myself am coding my games collision engine from scratch. I could just use Box 2D but won't because it's a great coding exercise and would look good if I ever need to get back into coding again.

I'd love to hear about this. Possibly would derail the thread though

The tutorials by the guys that made N+ that are available online are probably the best source of that, it's what I based mine one. There's other tutorials on how to make it vector based, meaning you build up a table of the times all axes overlap then the shortest one is your first collision.

Mines a bit more complex since I have rotating tiles meaning its pretty much a 2D polygon engine now. I had to work out all the geometry and maths myself since the only advice you will find online about it is dont make your tiles rotate to make things simple.

http://www.metanetsoftware.com/technique/tutorialA.html

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

glasso wrote: »
    What's the point of this?
    He's showing off his coding skills. Here's another from the same author;

Seems he coded a game within a game, so that people could join a multiplayer Doom, and then play MK within it.

He uses DoomBuilder to make the levels for Donkey Kong.

Saying you got X grade for X degree 3 years ago means your talent may be stale. Saying since then you made Y project with Z engine since then shows that your talent goes beyond what you did in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The tutorials by the guys that made N+ that are available online are probably the best source of that, it's what I based mine one. There's other tutorials on how to make it vector based, meaning you build up a table of the times all axes overlap then the shortest one is your first collision.

Mines a bit more complex since I have rotating tiles meaning its pretty much a 2D polygon engine now. I had to work out all the geometry and maths myself since the only advice you will find online about it is dont make your tiles rotate to make things simple.

http://www.metanetsoftware.com/technique/tutorialA.html

You should check out some of Pixars old SIGGRAPH papers on physically based modeling. The paper on rigid body dynamics is especially good, but it does go off into the deep end on the math. Code samples are nice though.

http://www.pixar.com/companyinfo/research/pbm2001/

Advertisement