Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASUS PadFone downloading LOADS of data over 3G

Options
  • 16-09-2014 3:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I got a new smartphone a month or so back (ASUS Padfone T008). I have a 500 MB-per-month data contract, which is fine because I almost never use it and only usually keep 3G on to occasionally help with using Google Maps or very rarely check a web page or something.

I was quite happily doing this with my previous (Sony) phone and never got anywhere near 500 MB, despite leaving 3G on for days at a time. In fact I was usually well under 100 MB by the end of the month.

This current phone, though, keeps trying to download data as soon as I switch on 3G. We're talking 100s of MB per day (if I let it).

I've already restricted background data, and Play Store is set to only update apps over Wi-Fi. The Android OS is set to update automatically over Wi-Fi and it is currently reading as being up to date (Android 4.3).

I just can't figure out what it's doing. It's showing up in "Data Usage" as being "Android OS" that's doing the downloading, though my understanding is that other apps can sometimes show up as this.

Anyone got any ideas? This is driving me crazy. I'm basically using up my month's data allowance in one day.

BTW, I'm in Taiwan, though that shouldn't make much difference.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭biketard

OK, well last night I completely wiped the phone (factory reset) and also formatted the SD card, since it occurred to me that I had simply transferred that over from my old phone without deleting anything at all.

So far the phone seems to be behaving itself. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Could it be syncing email and photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭biketard

Could it be syncing email and photos?

Hey Kenny Logins,

Thanks for posting. It definitely wasn't. I had that sync turned off for sure.

Advertisement