Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pride

Options
  • 15-09-2014 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

Surprised to see no thread for the film Pride despite it getting such good reviews.

On the plus side its a very good mixture of drama and comedy with some excellent ensamble acting. Its based on a true story when a group of London gays and Lesbians decided to start collecting money to support a mining community in Wales. On the minus side the film is perhaps a tad too long with the middle section dragging on too long.

It was interesting at the end to find out at the end to read what happened to some of the characters in real life.

Soundtracks not bad either

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Have read middling reviews myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,266 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Looks to be in the same vein as Made In Dagenham and The Full Monty with an impressive cast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

What a funny and heart warming film. Was delighted that it was based on real events. Myself and my friend really enjoyed it. I am mot ashamed that I laughed and cried :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Great film, loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

What an unexpected delight! Delivers laughter and tears without ever feeling like its manipulating you or hammering a point. Very well crafted and the entire cast brings their A game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jenda

Another one to recommend it here - we saw it last night and thought it was excellent. I wasn't expecting much (the Cineworld description makes it sound very bland and a bit like every other British film I've seen - "Unlikely allies join forces against a common enemy in this feelgood British comedy-drama based on an amazing true story.") but it was really very, very good. Well worth a watch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,383 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

One of the best films I've seen in a long time. Upbeat without being soppy and powerful seemingly without trying to be. Wonderful film.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Would agree with all off the above. 4 stat film .
    Based on true events which makes it all the more enjoyable.
    All the characters had their own story and it though it .

would recommend going to it. best film i have seen in the cinema in a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Amazing that a film riddled with all the clichés (ALL of them) can still be thoroughly enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Considering we kinda already know the end of the story (well most of us anyway) the film is about the journey, rather than some heroic ending, which made the actual ending even better cos I didn't expect it (and slightly sad)

Also the first time I've seen Imelda Staunton play a nice person :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

cloud493 wrote: »
    Considering we kinda already know the end of the story (well most of us anyway) the film is about the journey, rather than some heroic ending, which made the actual ending even better cos I didn't expect it (and slightly sad)

Also the first time I've seen Imelda Staunton play a nice person :pac:

I didn't know any of the story before hearing about this movie, well, I knew there was a miners' strike but they rest was all new to me. But as soon hear the premise you know exactly how the journey will pan out. I'm not knocking it, I really enjoyed it.

Staunton character was my favourite character after the lesbian, who I may be tragically in love with.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I went to see this last Saturday. Had the cinema to myself. Not another sole other me and my wife. Pity as it was really excellent.

The plot may put a lot of people off but there is a lot more to it than the plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

godtabh wrote: »
    I went to see this last Saturday. Had the cinema to myself. Not another sole other me and my wife. Pity as it was really excellent.

The plot may put a lot of people off but there is a lot more to it than the plot.

That's disappointing cause it's such a great film. For a real life story that ended on such a downer to end it on a high like that is some amazing writing. Great performances all round especially Ben Schnetzer as Mark (to think he's American and to pull of Northern Ireland accent like that is amazing) and Domicic West should be getting a few best supporting actor noms. I hope this doesn't become an overlooked gem like Brassed Up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Absolute cracker. One of the few films that delivers in spades over and above expectations walking in. Draws the full range of emotions and the cast really shine. One of the finds of the year so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Amazing that a film riddled with all the clichés (ALL of them) can still be thoroughly enjoyable.

Ah, like most cliches and stereotypes there's some truth in them.

Bit of a nostalgia overdose for me, good soundtrack and laughed at the "he isn't a girls world" line! My sister had one of those.

Nighy, Considine and Scott excellent as usual, all played very under stated roles and all the better for it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Spent all night and most of today suffering from a terrible migraine which has became a dull unrelenting thud so was in the mood for something a little light and upbeat and saw this was pop up when looking through the new VOD releases. Decided to give it a go as the cast is fantastic and it seemed like the kind of up beat fare that would put a smile on my face and it delivered in spades. Easily one of the most delightful films of the year, a real feel good, heart warming tale which is awash in cliche and all the better for it. It's unapologetically feel good and just a joy to watch, performances are excellent, it's funny, moving and manages to say quite a lot without ever feeling preachy. Really cannot recommend it enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Quite disappointing film, to be honest. Not terrible, but little more than standard Brit fare, in the vein of Cemetery Junction or the little-seen Spike Island (all period pieces set in the 1980s or early 1990s, incidentally).

Highly sentimental (I cringed during the scene in which a Welsh woman starts a sing-along that leads to a roomful of strikers and their supporters joining in) and with a terribly generic TV-style electric guitar score.

It was also a bit overlong and uneven, with some characters dominating for stretches, then disappearing again for several scenes.

Still, it was raised out of the ordinary but some very good performances, notably Dominic West and Paddy Considine.

Advertisement