Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Experience Primary School

Options
  • 15-09-2014 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi,

I am hoping to apply for the PME in Primary Teaching next year. However I have no teaching experience, and would like to try and get some idea of what's in store before applying, for my own sake and also experience-wise for the application/interview process.

Does anyone know if there's a way of shadowing/observing a primary teacher in a school? I have been looking into Garda vetting but it seems that an individual cannot apply for this, that you require an employer/college etc to do it on your behalf. Anyone aware of any workarounds for this? I am arranging to meet with a couple of friends to hear about their experience, but I do think it would be beneficial to actually visit a school for a day/few days to get the full experience.

Any help/tips appreciated! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

You don't need garda clearance as you won't be alone with the children. Many schools have a lot of people looking to observe etc so if you have a link to a particular school (perhaps your own primary?) I'd start there. Make it clear you want to HELP, not just sit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 buzzz88

Thanks for your reply - that's great news. And good point about making it clear I want to help! Would you say a week would be sufficient to offer? I work full-time at the moment, so I'll be using my annual leave for this. However I could probably arrange it for longer if needs be.

I know a couple of primary teachers (although I haven't seen them in a long time, hence why I posted here first). I'll definitely try my old school as well.

Unfortunately I have to wait until early 2015 as I haven't got any annual leave left for this year in my current job! Just wanted to make sure there was no paperwork I would need!

Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭dwiseman

I contacted my old primary school for the same thing last week. Like yourself I too am doing the PME next year. Yesterday I met with the principal and explained that I'd be a classroom assistant, do observation, do anything really to get some first hand experience to help me prepare for my course. He was great, couldn't have been more helpful. As soon as my garda vetting comes through I will be observing one day a week for 3 months. I'm using annual leave like yourself. With regards to garda vetting I contacted the teaching council, they sent me the forms, I filled them in and sent them back and they are doing the garda vetting for me. The principal told me that I MUST be garda vetted first so you should start the ball rolling on that straight away as it can take months.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Garda vetting is only compulsory when a person will be in significant contact and or /alone with children. As the OP is not a teacher, the teaching council doesn't apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭dwiseman

Garda vetting is only compulsory when a person will be in significant contact and or /alone with children. As the OP is not a teacher, the teaching council doesn't apply.

Fair enough, I'm only going on my experience of what I was asked for by a principal yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 buzzz88

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm hoping to switch to part-time hours in the new year in order to have more time to spend gaining some experience in schools, or even just volunteering with children in general. (And brush up on my Irish!)

I guess my next step is to arrange a meeting with my old principal and the friends I have in different schools to see what I need to do. Although there is probably no harm in me contacting the Teaching Council myself anyway to see what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

You can also try your local volunteer centre. Some schools look for help with their Maths Recovery and Literacy Lift Off programmes through volunteer centres. I got sorted through my local centre. I didn't have to complete Garda vetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 flower92

Hi I too want to apply for the PME in primary teaching next year but I have absolutely no experience with working with children or in a school. I just finished my degree this summer and I have started into a full time job now.
    Any idea how many people apply for this course every year? I want it so badly but I think my lack of experience will let me down. Is there anything I could do at weekends to gain experience to show in the interview that this is what I want. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

In previous years, there have been 9 applicants to every 1 place in the training colleges. Not sure how Hibernia compares competition-wise (other threads will give you an idea of what people think in terms of Hibernia's reputation/ ability for grads to get jobs). You would definitely need some experience with children - check out volunteering websites for weekend homework clubs, or the likes of SVP for the work they do with families in need. They also usually want to know that applicants can bring more to the schools they would be working in than in at 8.50 and out the door as soon as the bell rings. Any sport or musical abilities you have, stick with it so you can talk about it as an extracurricular activity - whether that is joining a running club or continuing to play with Comhaltas or singing in a choir (or indeed, starting!). I know you will probably only want to fall into bed on weekends when you are working full-time, but you are going the right way about it by asking that question.

Advertisement