Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Markree Castle Sligo

Options
  • 15-09-2014 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭

I am up there for a wedding soon, so was thinking of going for a run the next morning if in a decent frame of mind, any good areas?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭curtisbrown

Union Wood is probably the most popular place in Sligo for running and is only about a kilometre from Markree Castle. I can't post a link but google it, you'd be going in from the Collooney side.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

I am up there for a wedding soon, so was thinking of going for a run the next morning if in a decent frame of mind, any good areas?

Thanks
    Union Wood is just over the road. If you are coming from markree back to Collooney turn right at the industrial units just before the N4 and run for a mile approx. You will pass over a small bridge where the road forks. Take the left turn in towards the woods. You will come across a house on your right after another half mile or so and a road forks to your right into the woods. You have various loops in there 4 miles upwards on pretty hily terrain. Nice place to run. Bring plenty of breadcrumbs to drop out of your pocket on the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

+1 on the lads' recommendation.
    You could not be in a better place.
    I have done more miles in Union Wood than anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Cool, thanks all, just need to not drink too much the night before:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I did my final run of 2012 on New Years Eve from Markree. Had to do it to make my annual target. Wish I'd known about Union Wood although from that description I think I passed very close but turned back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement