Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three or Meteor

Options
  • 15-09-2014 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭

Been asked a hundred times I'm sure but can't find anything recent. I am switching from O2 to one of the above and want to make my choice based on coverage and data speed. It will be the 30 day SIM only option and with meteor for €20 I will get 200min talk, free text and 2GB data (3G) while with Three I will get all you can eat data (4G) and 350 units (I unit is 1 min talk or 2 texts), for €20.33.

Just to point out, the 2GB data would be more than enough for me so the choice is based on the coverage more than anything. Do Three use the same masts as O2? Having been with O2 for yonks, their coverage is not good down the country at all.

Cheers.

Edit: This may be in the wrong forum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

Three now own O2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

I'm with meteor and I tested my phone against 3 mate's phones (one with three) whilst going from Dublin to Galway on the train, meteor coverage was far better than three on going across the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Great post about Tesco Mobile's offers. They use 02's masts.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91930391&postcount=40

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Currently Three use Vodafone's cells for when they have no 3G coverage but that will most likely be changing as they integrate the 02 network over the coming months/years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

I left Meteor for 3, was paying between 30 and 35 for 200 min 200 text and 1gb says, now paying 21 for 350 calls and texts and unlimited 4g data

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Daith

I mainly stay in Dublin but Three is fantastic for me. What about PAYG?

PAYG: 20 euro a month
    3000 odd texts
    Free 3-3 calls
    Unlimited Data

Plus I can use my 3 credit which I barely touch to pay for stuff from the Android store so I now subscribe to Google Play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Daith wrote: »

3000 odd texts
    Free 3-3 calls
    Unlimited Data

Plus I can use my 3 credit which I barely touch to pay for stuff from the Android store so I now subscribe to Google Play.

Plus free calls to all national numbers at weekends (both landline and mobile).

It depends really on where you actually are down the country, but what I would suggest is you get a pre-pay SIM for both networks and try them out for a few days, before you get tied into a contract.

I'm only a stones throw from a Three mast with 4G, I get great speeds, and while the 2GB data limit might be enough for you now, with 4G and a smartphone you might find yourself requiring more in the future, and data add-ons can be pricey.

E-mobile actually are on the same network as meteor, so if you have an eircom landline, it might be no harm to have a look at their bundle offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭KilOit

3000 odd texts
    Free 3-3 calls
    Unlimited Data

Is it really unlimted? top up by 20 a month and if i sit on youtube and download torrents all day on 4G i only pay 20€
    I'm looking at changing to a 4G sim but i'm pretty sceptical with phone networks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

KilOit wrote: »
    Is it really unlimted? top up by 20 a month and if i sit on youtube and download torrents all day on 4G i only pay 20€
    I'm looking at changing to a 4G sim but i'm pretty sceptical with phone networks

It's supposed to be that your connection gets throttled after you hit 15GB. I've never been near this so I don't know if it actually happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Daith

Yeah I don't think I've ever reached 15GB.

Also you can use data in the UK for free which has been a lifesaver for me sometimes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭lfc2000

Yeah I don't think I've ever reached 15GB.

Also you can use data in the UK for free which has been a lifesaver for me sometimes

I use at least 50 to 70 gig with my three phone. It never gets throttled. Every month for the last 2 year.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MickeyD

I'm also looking to change from meteor, currently paying 25e for 1GB data 200min/200text SIM only deal (bit weird when the 20e PAYG package includes 2 of 15GB data / free calls / free texts). I do like the convenience of a bill for not having to top up etc.

I'll see if the meteor loyalty dept. will do anything for me, but as far as I can see these are the best alternatives:

Three: 20e/m, unlimited 4G data, 350 free 'units' where a unit = 1 min or 2 texts
    Tesco Mobile: 25e/m 10,000 text & 10,000 mins with 15GB 3G data
    Meteor: the aforementioned 20e free combo of calls & data PAYG

Is it true that since Tesco Mobile uses O2's masts so the network quality is much better than Three outside of Dublin? I've found Meteor can be a bit patchy outside of Dublin too. Are there any other deals I missed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Wailin

MickeyD wrote: »
    Is it true that since Tesco Mobile uses O2's masts so the network quality is much better than Three outside of Dublin? I've found Meteor can be a bit patchy outside of Dublin too. Are there any other deals I missed?

Well speaking from my experience I found O2's coverage was very poor in certain areas down the country. My wife is with Vodafone while my son is with Meteor and they both had coverage in areas of West Cork and Waterford where I had no signal. One of the main reasons why I left O2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭KilOit

Switched to Three from Meteor yesterday and have to say i'm very disappointed with the coverage, i live and work in the Tallaght area i get very poor signal indoors and only once seen it go to LTE.
    Great deal an all but the network is rubbish, i'll be going back to Meteor by the end of the month if it doesn't improve

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭kirb42

Switched to Three from Meteor yesterday and have to say i'm very disappointed with the coverage, i live and work in the Tallaght area i get very poor signal indoors and only once seen it go to LTE.
    Great deal an all but the network is rubbish, i'll be going back to Meteor by the end of the month if it doesn't improve

Meteor coverage isn't that bad....once you don't have to deal with Meteor..any dealings with them ( 4 yrs a customer) is painful...I'd sooner get a tooth pulled, however better the devil and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

I ported from Meteor to Three a month ago. While their offering is good value, I found their signal strength to be very poor. I couldnt get a reliable signal in Ballinteer, Stepaside or Cherrywood. I end up porting to 48 after a few weeks with Three their signal was so bad.

Now I may have just been a bad signal area, Meteor was always 100% though, so you should really get a sim and try them out before signing up to a contract with them.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Was with 3 once never again, a pure nightmare as soon as there's a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Wailin

Well having been with Meteor for a few days since switching from O2, I can safely say the 3G download speed is desperate compared to O2's. Coverage is only ok too, glad it's just a thirty day contract, will try Three next.

Advertisement