Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Training for Female Newbie!

Options
  • 15-09-2014 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there,

Fairly new to cycling - and completed a few events this year - Tour de Connemara, Wicklow 100 and Ring of Kerry.

Interested in joining a club to get some winter training in, and looking for recommendations.
    Had hoped to join Clontarf but they are not accepting any new members until Jan.

Based in Ringsend, and can travel if needs be!

Thanks a mill
    S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Orwell are by the Luas bridge in Dundrum, so about a 20 minute cycle I guess.

Spins are starting on Sunday October the 5th and being such a large club there'll be plenty of people of your level - whatever that is.

Also we might be the club in Ireland with the most female members - I can't think of any with more - and Orwell take part in the lady's racing league. As do quite a few other clubs around Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sorcsdegras

Thanks for this- signed up and hope to make your Sunday morning cycles.

I was hoping for a mid-week option, but not sure if this would be done during the winter months?

Thanks,
    S

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,715 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Moved from Cycling Training Logs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Had hoped to join Clontarf but they are not accepting any new members until Jan.

What kind of silly sh1t is this? Do some clubs have a membership window? Surely detrimental to their progress/growth.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,715 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Kinet1c wrote: »
    What kind of silly sh1t is this? Do some clubs have a membership window? Surely detrimental to their progress/growth.
    I think CI closes its membership window at the end of this month. For insurance purposes clubs usually require CI or IVCA insurance.

CI will probably re-open for new members and renewals shortly after the AGM (as next year's subs will not be agreed until then). This year the AGM is being held on 1 November and new member can effectively get 14 months membership and insurance if they sign up as soon as they start accepting applications. I think the CI system will, for 2015, allow members to pay their club fees also. Hence it makes sense for clubs to align with the CI membership window.

I'm not going to comment specifically on Clontarf as I am not familiar with their own sign-up/renewals process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Granolite

Kinet1c wrote: »

They don't have a progress/growth issue...they have seen a huge increase in their member base in a very short time since the formation of the club and for the sake of being able to manage those number's in a safe and inclusive manner within the limitations of the club's structures to date have had to temporarily stop accepting new members. Nothing silly in this and I have seen it done elsewhere too.

5.6kWp - SW (220 degrees) - North Sligo

Advertisement