Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scammers screwed my auction

Options
  • 15-09-2014 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Hi,

Scammers made 2 bids on the last hour of my auction, with a value of more than 10x the price of the item.

This way the really interested people stopped bidding and I couldn't sell my item.

Sinse this is my first sale, I'm I doing something wrong?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I take it was on eBay?

have eBay confirmed they were scammers?

Will eBay give you a refund of your fees as they allowed scammers to bid on your lot?

was it a big ticket item? ie over 100 Euro? it may look suspect if you end up starting another action. you may need to write an explanation of why the lit is up for sale again.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭tendjose

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I take it was on eBay?

have eBay confirmed they were scammers?

Will eBay give you a refund of your fees as they allowed scammers to bid on your lot?

was it a big ticket item? ie over 100 Euro? it may look suspect if you end up starting another action. you may need to write an explanation of why the lit is up for sale again.

Yes was on ebay uk.

Nop ebay didn't say anything. But they offered 8000€ for something that's worth 500€. Obvioulsy they not going to pay.

I don't know how I should proceed. Just find strange that these people don't do the same on other auctions.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

tendjose wrote: »
    Yes was on ebay uk.

Nop ebay didn't say anything. But they offered 8000€ for something that's worth 500€. Obvioulsy they not going to pay.

I don't know how I should proceed. Just find strange that these people don't do the same on other auctions.

I don't have much experience with online auctions but I presume the idea is that it drives potential customers away from what you're auctioning to another similar/identical item that they want to sell?

I would open a dispute with eBay to look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If you are willing to link a post a link to the auction you might get more help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

There are a few things you can do to prevent this from happening but not very much.

First you can set up a restriction that people have to have a certain amount of feedback before they can bid on your item.
    You can add the names of the bidders to your blocked buyers list.
    You can set up restriction on where the buyers comes from - some sellers will only sell in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement