Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand canal from adamstown to kildare direction

Options
  • 15-09-2014 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    As the title states, thinking of looking along grand canal for a new running route, can u go from adamstown towards the kildare direction?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

Ran from Grand Canal Dock out to Celbridge a few weeks back. All the way to Adamstown is paved running / cycling path and is excellent. Adamstown to Celbridge is a grass trail. Uneven, but as long as your careful, it's a nice quiet route along the canal. Was getting off at Celbridge, but I expect it continues in that vein for a while. Not one for after dark though!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

RunRoryRun wrote: »
    Ran from Grand Canal Dock out to Celbridge a few weeks back. All the way to Adamstown is paved running / cycling path and is excellent. Adamstown to Celbridge is a grass trail. Uneven, but as long as your careful, it's a nice quiet route along the canal. Was getting off at Celbridge, but I expect it continues in that vein for a while. Not one for after dark though!

Is the trail on the left hand side of the river on the way out? Planning on doing it early on a Sat morning

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

left hand side of the canal from town to adamstown, then switches to the right hand side at adamstown to celbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

After Celbridge (Hazelhatch) it switches back to left hand side. The trail here is stony but not too bad. When it reaches Village at Lyons its a nice tarmacked surface for a couple of miles. Once you reach Ardclough it switches to concrete for a bit before going back to well worn trails.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Dutchie

From ardclough you can run on the road parallel to the canal for 2.5k. Then you go on a well worn trail all the way to sallins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

There is a group from Raheny Shamrocks who have done this route quite a number of times. They go as far as some train station and get it back to Dublin after as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

The section between the 12th lock and Hazel Hatch isn't great, ran it once and that was enough.
    Would often see lads running the other sections around Ardclough and when we'd stop for water in Hazel Hatch but any of the lads I met would head back on to the road at Hazel Hatch.
    Arthurs way I think they call it now

Advertisement