Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing economics outside school (6th Year)

Options
  • 15-09-2014 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm in 6th year and doing 7 honours subjects but I'm not as strong with languages as my other subjects, I was thinking of picking up business or economics as I loved JC business and found it an easy A. I'm already doing accounting and as apparently business is a bulky subject I just wanted opinions on whether it's possible to get an A or even a B1 in economics if I picked it up now? Thanks :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

By reports from many here, it seems Economics is doable in a year and I think would be chosen by many over Business, if they had an option.

I wouldn't base any predictions on JC results. It's a different ballgame at LC in terms of how papers are set, corrected etc.. You should be OK with a JC HL A, but as to whether that would translate into a B1 or higher, it's hard to say. I think you'd have a better chance in Economics than Business.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭First_October

Economics is well-suited to being done in a year. The course is quite short. Just make sure you cover the entire course, as many people delude themselves into thinking they know exactly which market structure will come up, etc.

The vast majority of people seem to be able to bag a C1 or higher, but not so many get A1s. And as Spurious pointed out Junior Cert. results do not translate well to the Leaving, so bear that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JamesMann

spurious wrote: »
    By reports from many here, it seems Economics is doable in a year and I think would be chosen by many over Business, if they had an option.

I wouldn't base any predictions on JC results. It's a different ballgame at LC in terms of how papers are set, corrected etc.. You should be OK with a JC HL A, but as to whether that would translate into a B1 or higher, it's hard to say. I think you'd have a better chance in Economics than Business.

Thanks! Yeah I get that JC is a fair bit of a different story to the LC but what I meant to say was that Business was my favourite subject at JC as unlike some I found the whole course and the theory interesting and then it was easy to revise. I think I'd prefer business to economics but there really isn't enough time at this stage to pick it up outside school. Although I'm good with figures and financial stuff and I think there'd be more of than in economics?

Economics is well-suited to being done in a year. The course is quite short. Just make sure you cover the entire course, as many people delude themselves into thinking they know exactly which market structure will come up, etc.

The vast majority of people seem to be able to bag a C1 or higher, but not so many get A1s. And as Spurious pointed out Junior Cert. results do not translate well to the Leaving, so bear that in mind.

Do you know if I'd need to do much grinds or is it a subject I could try and do the majority on my own? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭First_October

You could do it on your own. Not much need for grinds unless you get seriously stuck on a certain topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 OscarXC7

JamesMann wrote: »
    ...What I meant to say was that Business was my favourite subject at JC as unlike some I found the whole course and the theory interesting and then it was easy to revise. I think I'd prefer business to economics but there really isn't enough time at this stage to pick it up outside school?

I don't see why you would not be able to take up Business outside of school at this stage. The course is not that long. My Business book has 24 chapters. My Economics book has 30 chapters. None of the chapters in Business contain any material that I would call difficult or that would need the help of a teacher. None of the chapters are particularly long and doing one chapter a week would be very doable. If you would prefer to do Business, do it.

I just don't get why everyone always says that the course is so long. It is very doable in a year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The book is not the syllabus. You can be asked on anything in the syllabus.

The book is not the syllabus. You can be asked on anything in the syllabus.

My point still stands. Business is easily doable in a year.

OscarXC7 wrote: »
    My point still stands. Business is easily doable in a year.

Yes, but you will need more than one book, regardless of how many (or few) chapters.

Yes, but you will need more than one book, regardless of how many (or few) chapters.

Why would you need more than one book?

• Advertisement

JamesMann wrote: »
    Why would you need more than one book?

You will do perfectly fine with just one book.

Advertisement