Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mechanical Engineering

• 14-09-2014 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Sitting my leaving cert this year and i am wondering if i do mechanical engineering in DKIT can i transfer to DCU mechanical and manufacturing engineering after 2 years in DKIT?
    or do i have to complete the 3 year course in DKIT and then do level 8 in DCU?
    or can i even transfer from DKIT to DCU at all because DCU is "mechanical AND MANUFACTURING"?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Ging Ging

If you leave DKIT after 2 years you would graduate with a higher certificate (level 6) that is normally embedded in the ordinary degree (level 7). I wouldn't recommend this for anyone and the likelihood is DCU would want you to start in semester1, 2 or 3 of their course as the modules in 2 years done in DKIT will not directly match DCU.

Why not put DCU down first on your CAO? Are you missing the honours maths requirement?

I considered a transfer something like this a couple of years back after my level 7. I looked up general rules for advanced entry requirements in different universities' engineering department. They all set there own rules but don't expect to finish third year in an IT and go into fourth year in a uni. Generally a 4 year degree in an IT or uni will have a few part 1 modules in year 3 and part 2 in year 4. This means students ( including advanced entry) are required to complete years 3 and 4.

In the end rather than do 2 more years to gain an honours degree (level 8), I decided to do a related one year add level 8 at another IT after my level 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cmacb

so basically.. if i complete the 3 year course in DKIT and get a transfer to DCU i will have to begin in 3rd year again... so in total it will take 3 years DKIT+ another 3 years in DCU just to get a level 8? or am i wrong?

could i do what you did and do my level 8 in another IT buh then do a masters in computer aided mechanical and manufacturing engineering in DCU?

If you do 3 years in an IT and get your level 7, provided your marks are good enough you should be able to transfer to a university to join a 4 year degree programme but you would most likely join in their third year.
    An honours degree, level 8 normally takes 4 years from start to finish but the above circumstance would take 5 as third year would be done twice (different modules in different colleges or universities).

Transferring from one college or university to another is subject to the approval of individual departments and admissions office. This means they will review results and the course content (what the modules are and how well they match the requirements of their institution). The difference between mechanical eng in one and mechanical and manufacturing eng in another may or may not be deemed critical.

If your heart is set on DCU then the easiest thing to do is go there from first year if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cmacb

Thanks for all the help! i am now thinking of mechanical and manufacturing engineering in waterfordIT its 290 points and higher level maths is not needed and it is a 4 year level 8 course. what would be your thoughts on this?

• Advertisement
Advertisement