Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to train for a mountain run?

Options
  • 14-09-2014 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

I will be doing my first mountain run in early Nov and I'd like some advice on how best to approach the training.

It's a moonlight challenge for Glen of Imaal mountain rescue. It's 27k, here is the route map: http://www.moonlightchallenge.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=395&Itemid=146around

I live near the city centre so the nearest hills are in the Phoenix Park which I have done a few hill sessions on. My fitness level is ok, I am up to 12 miles at the moment. Do I need to go to Wicklow to practice or could I do it on a treadmill with the incline set to high? I hate treadmills but would be willing to do that as I don't have a car to get to the Dublin mountains or Howth. And my time will be limited with going back to college.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Aside from the training perspective, some options to get more exposure to hills from the city centre:
    Take the DART to either Howth or Bray and run the trails.
    Take the green LUAS to Sandyford and run around Three Rock.
    Take the green LUAS to Lehaunstown and run the trails around Carrigologan/the Scalp.
    Take the red LUAS to Tallaght, and run part of the Dublin Mountain Way in the direction of Bohernabreena

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

You can get a bus to Marlay park and then do the IMRA Dublin Mountain Plod route. It should be ca 12-13 miles. Its a really lovely route, though it may be tricky to find your way through Massy's estate if you don't know the area. Bring a map (and the ability to read it)!

https://www.imra.ie/events/maps/id/804/

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

Cool thanks guys. I will try out Howth first before hitting Dublin mountains I think.

Advertisement