Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th year

Options
  • 14-09-2014 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

Hi so i thought id do a post about 5th yr..i did 4th yr last year and it was boring nothing happened the usual..but im in 5th yr about 3 weeks and the work load is just a joke! The writing hw and then the amount of learning half the time i just think there lying but no theres just so much..i litrally feel like having a breakdown half the time with all of it. I come from a family and im the oldest my brothers in 1st yr so he has no sense of work loads..and my parents just dont get it. Today alone i spent 8 hours on hw not including learning. Everynight without fail my brother goes outside and bangs the slitor of the wall for about 1/2 hr and if hes inside everyone just shouts its nearly impossible to do the learning with it. I can only properly learn something in silence and they dont understand and ive tried to explain. My brother says just cause im in LC doesnt mean i get priority but honesty i think i should. It my lc and its important. My parents dont get along great so theres alot if arguments between them and sometimes they dont talk so i leave in the mornig to go to school with that on my shoulders. Being in school from 8am-4pm is a breather because it gets me away from all the shouting and arguments but basically my question is..how do i get across to my parents i need quitness and my brother needs to stop?? And is 5th yr this bad for everyone? The only time i can seem to get a small bit of study is a 10 minute drive on the bus to school in the morning :( my dad always says i should get a job to have some extre cash, but i really dont need extra cash as i have enough (not being snobby here) but it is my reason, and he knows i dont need anymore, but i hardly have time to get dressed with all the work let alone have a job so how do i stop this constant irrating question? He thinks it will give me a sence of reponsibility, but i CANNOT fit it in. Im physically exhausted every night

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I'm in 5th year, the workload is too light for me. Maybe others in my class find it tough, but it can get a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Monkeysgomad

I'm in 5th year, the workload is too light for me. Maybe others in my class find it tough, but it can get a lot worse.

Well i guess it all depeneds on what school your in and class/people your with and ol or hl too, but ive never heard that its to light before

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I'm in 5th year too and the work load is definitely starting to get tough.

Do you have a guidance counsellor or class teacher or something at school that you could talk to about your home issues? They might be able to offer you some advice or support with your studies. Does your school offer an after-school study programme? It might be worth going to get away from home to get your work done? The library is another option.

OP, you're parents and brother should definitely understand that you're preparing for your LC and it is important. You need to have somewhere comfortable to study, especially next year.

Bazinga_N wrote: »

Do you have a guidance counsellor or class teacher or something at school that you could talk to about your home issues? They might be able to offer you some advice or support with your studies. Does your school offer an after-school study programme? It might be worth going to get away from home to get your work done? The library is another option.

OP, you're parents and brother should definitely understand that you're preparing for your LC and it is important. You need to have somewhere comfortable to study, especially next year.

Hi yes there is a guidence coucellor, but if i tall to her my parents must know therefore they will not be happy as its all about their image.
    Yes the school has after school study also, which i did for my jc and found it fine for written hw but could not learn at all. I learn perfectly at home when the house is litrally quite. I need to say it aloud and then it goes in but i cant have noise and they dont get that.

Bazinga_N wrote: »

I find learning difficult but when i do learn it i know it properly and can do very well but for that it needs to be quite. They always try make noise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 OscarXC7

Would you consider adjusting your daily routine? If you wake up at 6AM you could get a solid two hours of study done in peace before everyone else wakes up. Obviously you would have to go to bed earlier than you do now to ensure you are getting adequate sleep.

Just a suggestion seeing as your family don't appear to be willing to facilitate your study needs.

OscarXC7 wrote: »
    Would you consider adjusting your daily routine? If you wake up at 6AM you could get a solid two hours of study done in peace before everyone else wakes up. Obviously you would have to go to bed earlier than you do now to ensure you are getting adequate sleep.

Just a suggestion seeing as your family don't appear to be willing to facilitate your study needs.

Thanks for the tip already wake up at 6:15 in order ti get bus at 7:15 so unless i wake at 4 am which would be impossible

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is there a library or a neighbour's or relative's house you could go to to do your homework/study?

spurious wrote: »
    Is there a library or a neighbour's or relative's house you could go to to do your homework/study?

No libary with in a walking distance i dont live a city or anything.. I couldnt go to a neighbours my parents wouldnt allow thag to their 'image' and most my relatives live in different parts again!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

That's awful to hear, I'm really sorry :(
    Maybe you should try and organise for your parents to meet with your guidance counselor, talk to your guidance counselor beforehand and explain the problems you're having at home. It is really tough to get work done with loud people around and people who dont understand.
    Do NOT take your parents "image" into consideration. God forbid their own child struggles with schoolwork.
    Please talk to someone about this before it escalates and you can't do anything about it by 6th year. Hope it all works out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement