Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P45 - working 2 jobs

Options
  • 14-09-2014 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I got offered a new job recentley and my new employer wants my P45. I have parts 2,3,4 at home...is that all they need? Will I be put on emergency tax again?

Im also keeping my 1st job, working only 1 or 2 nights a week....I have no clue about tax and other things to do with P45 etc.....so do I have or need to do anything else???

Comments

Hi guys,

I got offered a new job recentley and my new employer wants my P45. I have parts 2,3,4 at home...is that all they need? Will I be put on emergency tax again?

Im also keeping my 1st job, working only 1 or 2 nights a week....I have no clue about tax and other things to do with P45 etc.....so do I have or need to do anything else???

You don't need give your new employer your P45. Just ring Revenue and ask them to allocate your tax credits as needed. You will need your new employers Tax Number and revenue will do the rest. They will send out tax credit allowence certs to both your employers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

You don't need give your new employer your P45. Just ring Revenue and ask them to allocate your tax credits as needed. You will need your new employers Tax Number and revenue will do the rest. They will send out tax credit allowence certs to both your employers.

My new employer has asked me for my p45 tho....

My new employer has asked me for my p45 tho....

It's up to yourself. As you have 2 employers, your case isn't straightforward. You might be better off talking to Revenue and getting them to allocate your tax credits as you want. You can always just give your new employer the P45 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,765 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Tell the new employer you'll fill in a P46 for them.

Tell the new employer you'll fill in a P46 for them.

Do l need to fill it in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

OP, you have a certain amount of tax credits and a cut off point. If you have two employments these will (hopefully) be split between them.

In the normal course of events you hand the P45 from your previous employer to the new one, they take the details and apply it on a week 1/month 1 basis (think of this as a stop-gap so that you aren't undertaxed). The new employer sends the details to Revenue and they will then get your "final" details which they apply until there is a change.

In your case the simplest thing is to give your P45 to your new employer and let them run through this process. They will end up applying the details from the job you left to your new job. If the rate of pay is different it would be worth your while then ringing Revenue with your rates of pay and they can split your credits and cut off in the best way.

If you don't give your employer a P45 you will have to get their employers registered number and contact Revenue yourself as has been said above. The worst thing that can happen is that you go into Emergency tax as you will most likely (since you have two jobs) end up underpaying and being hit for it when your details are finalised.

Forget about P46 forms they are for employers if they do not receive details (either a P45 or a tax cert from Revenue). Employers, in my experience either don't send them or wait quite a while.

How can the OP have a P45, if they're already working one job? (Unless that is under the table).

Yes, the P46 is written for employers to submit when a new employee doesn't provide a P45. But quite often, employers get the employee to fill it it, now that there are no more P46a's.

What the OP really needs to do is get Revenue to split their tax credits correctly - and a P45 that doesn't mention the other job they are currently working won't do that.

But they also need to re-assure their new employer that they are operating correctly within the tax system, and depending on how robustly the employer is pursing the P45, it can be handy to have a strategy to reassure them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

How can the OP have a P45, if they're already working one job? (Unless that is under the table).

I'm not sure where the working "under the table" is coming from. If you had five jobs and left three, you'd have three P45's and two employments completely legitimately.

OP if there's no reason you don't want your new employer to see your P45, give them parts 2,3 and 4, leave it a while and ring Revenue to make sure your cutoffs and credits are split in the most effective way.

Thanks for all the replies.....lv checked my contract in my old job, finishing there in november. Rang Revenue yesterday they told me:

get my new employers reg number. Then estimate my income in my old job, the credits not used goes to new job, l get a new cert(?) and credit bands.(?) not 100% sure what that all means....

l guess won't be getting my "new" p45 (seasonal work in hotel) til nov.

Will l still then be on emergency tax til Nov???

Will l still then be on emergency tax til Nov???

No.

Provided you
    1 Get your new employer's registration number
    2 make an estimate of what proportion of your total income for the year comes from each of your two jobs, and
    3 Ring Revenue back and give them this information.

Based on it, they will calculate how many of your tax-credits should be allocated to each job, and issue the certificate to
    your employers telling them how to tax you.

Your P45 is irrelevant when you are working multiple jobs. But if you do as outlined about the system works remarkably well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement