Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to cover the LC Biology course in one year?

Options
  • 14-09-2014 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

I've just started 5th year and though I wanted to study both Biology and Chemistry, I was only able to get a place in Chemistry! I have my eyes set on doing medicine and am adamant about this!. I'm well aware that having only one science ( chemistry in particular) would be acceptable for pre-med in relatively every college in Ireland but I believe it would be a beneficial subject to have and I would take a great interest in it!. I'm currently studying eight other subjects.I've researched places which offer Biology classes outside of school and very few seem to offer two year courses in Biology or are every expensive!

I'm aware that biology is a long course, but the likes of The IOE seem to be able to compress two year courses in one year? Would it be better to do a course this year and be revising throughout next year to relieve the pressure or leave it until next year and doing the whole course within one year?. Also, how would I go about getting mandatory experiments signed off?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Dianabluex

I've just started 5th year and though I wanted to study both Biology and Chemistry, I was only able to get a place in Chemistry! I have my eyes set on doing medicine and am adamant about this!. I'm well aware that having only one science ( chemistry in particular) would be acceptable for pre-med in relatively every college in Ireland but I believe it would be a beneficial subject to have and I would take a great interest in it!. I'm currently studying eight other subjects.I've researched places which offer Biology classes outside of school and very few seem to offer two year courses in Biology or are every expensive!

I'm aware that biology is a long course, but the likes of The IOE seem to be able to compress two year courses in one year? Would it be better to do a course this year and be revising throughout next year to relieve the pressure or leave it until next year and doing the whole course within one year?. Also, how would I go about getting mandatory experiments signed off?.

It certainly is indeed ,I'm in leaving cert and I go to the yeats , I just took up biology I have 9 months to learn the whole course it's possible if u put the work in!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭TheEdgeofGlory

Dianabluex wrote: »
    It certainly is indeed ,I'm in leaving cert and I go to the yeats , I just took up biology I have 9 months to learn the whole course it's possible if u put the work in!

How are you finding the workload? Is it intense or very productive covering it in a grinds school? Have you been there since 5th year?. Also wondering if anyone else could share their opinion/advice? It would be very much appreciated!. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭missguided

If you're already doing eight subjects (in school I presume), why not give up one of them and spend the time doing biology instead? It would give you 4-5 classes a week to study the course, and if you're motivated enough you'd be grand! You'd have to speak to your principal but if you explain about needing it for medicine they should be accommodating.

missguided wrote: »
    If you're already doing eight subjects (in school I presume), why not give up one of them and spend the time doing biology instead? It would give you 4-5 classes a week to study the course, and if you're motivated enough you'd be grand! You'd have to speak to your principal but if you explain about needing it for medicine they should be accommodating.

As in covering the course by myself?. Is that a feasible thing given with experiments etc? Would I need to get things signed off? I'm doing pass maths if that's relevant and Japanese as an extra (8th) subject in school so I will have eight higher level subjects for points with Biology and maths which totals to nine subjects!. You could argue that's an advantage though?. I wouldn't want to cause hassle though in school! Don't know what the workload would be like as some courses are shorter than others! My option subjects are Music, Economics(had to do instead of Biology), Chemistry and Japanese and then French , Irish, maths and English!. I'm very interested in the sciences ( which is why I'm doing Chemistry), and think it will be important to have Biology as a combination with it even if it's not essential for pre-med!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

missguided wrote: »

It's quite difficult and expensive for most schools to accommodate requests like that. Do they use the teacher to supervise one person who doesn't want to do subject x, or to take a class of 25 for subject y?

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    It's quite difficult and expensive for most schools to accommodate requests like that. Do they use the teacher to supervise one person who doesn't want to do subject x, or to take a class of 25 for subject y?

I'm in agreement!. I know you're a teacher and was wondering do you think I'd be able to cope with the workload if I was to do Biology in 6th year? Would I need to get something signed off?.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm in agreement!. I know you're a teacher and was wondering do you think I'd be able to cope with the workload if I was to do Biology in 6th year? Would I need to get something signed off?.

Talk to the Biology teacher in your school. See what they think. While they may not be able to take you in classes, they might be able to check practice questions etc. for you. You're taking on a lot of extra work though - do you really need to do an 8th subject?

spurious wrote: »
    Talk to the Biology teacher in your school. See what they think. While they may not be able to take you in classes, they might be able to check practice questions etc. for you. You're taking on a lot of extra work though - do you really need to do an 8th subject?

My idea was to compensate for pass maths with Japanese as it's taught in school, seeing as languages are one of my strengths along with the sciences!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

It can be done in a year.

Nothing needs to be signed off on.

The experiments are "learnable".

1 grind a week would be a good idea, particularly to target genetics, photosynthesis & respiration.

Sorry to bump the thread again but I'm struggling a bit with Economics for reasons I won't reveal here. Ideally I'd love to switch to Biology as it's on at the same time but as you know I can't and I've asked the school twice about it!. I'm doing eight subjects at the moment including Economics ( seven at higher level ) and have been advised to go to the guidance counsellor about possibly being able to drop Economics and study Biology during the five periods?. Would this be a sensible option?.I"m already doing an extra subject offered by the school!. I do resent having to do Economics but I know people regard it as an "easy course". Dropping it would ease pressure as I wouldn't have to do nine subjects and having a second science subject is important to me!.

• Advertisement

Anyone?

Advertisement