Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Raid (USA Remake)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

I don't get this.

The story and plot is rather cliched and been done before. It's the execution and film making technique that's key.

How do you remake technique? Why not just get Gareth Evans to remake it?

From everything that's been said about this it would appear that this is shaping up to be a remake in name only. Hughes spoke of having twelve main characters and compared the film to Black Hawk Down.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

I don't see the point of this. Will they be able to top the intensity and violence of the original movie? Will they even try?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Hollywood if your listening, please stop ruining the arts by rehashing great movies against American backdrops. Please remember this when your blaming piracy for the decline in bums on seats

Judge dredd was basically the raid anyway

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Is did a Raid/Raid 2 back to back with some lads who hadn't seen it over the weekend. The remake came up in conversation and while I'm not against the idea if they don't keep the style (for want of a better word) I'll have absolutely No interest in this.

Watching the raid with "normal" fights would actually have been fairly boring

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Hollywood if your listening, please stop ruining the arts by rehashing great movies against American backdrops.

I don't know. Oldboy is supposed to be based on some Chinese film and that didn't turn out too bad. Although I'm not sure if the original was well-regarded or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I don't know. Oldboy is supposed to be based on some Chinese film and that didn't turn out too bad. Although I'm not sure if the original was well-regarded or not.
    It's South Korean and an established modern classic at this stage. The remake is truly dreadful in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,195 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

e_e wrote: »
    It's South Korean and an established modern classic at this stage. The remake is truly dreadful in comparison.

That's slightly hyperbolic and, in a vacuum, the remake isn't a bad film. Which is the point of the remake.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    I don't get this.

The story and plot is rather cliched and been done before. It's the execution and film making technique that's key.

How do you remake technique? Why not just get Gareth Evans to remake it?

I think they offered it to him. Not 100% on that though.
    From everything that's been said about this it would appear that this is shaping up to be a remake in name only. Hughes spoke of having twelve main characters and compared the film to Black Hawk Down.

These are the worst kinds of remakes. Why not just call it an original film, Hollywood is obsessed with the idea that the audience only wants to see titles and characters they recognise and it's infuriating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

e_e wrote: »

I think he was being sarcastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I think they offered it to him. Not 100% on that though.

These are the worst kinds of remakes. Why not just call it an original film, Hollywood is obsessed with the idea that the audience only wants to see titles and characters they recognise and it's infuriating.

Hollywood is obsessed with the idea of having a bedrock fanbase already in place. Whatever will lessen the risk of a flop, which is why nearly everything is based on a novel, comic book, a sequel, remake, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

There was already and American Raid, but they called it Dredd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Or Brick Mansions!!!

Seriously though, I don't see why they're remaking this of a US audience.
    It's a paper thin plot used to showcase some truly creative choreography. So what's the creative benefit?

If they Murica' up the fighting, it will be a dilution of what we have in the Raid.
    If they change around the plot, but leave it in the one building it's pretty much Dredd.
    If they take it out of the single setting, they may as well not call it The Raid.

Fair enough if you want to make an American movie "like" The Raid, but at least be cheeky enough to call it something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

You can bet your asses it will be PG-13 / 12A

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I think he was being sarcastic.

You're right. It was my first attempt at trolling and I didn't get the response I was hoping for. It's obviously harder than it looks. :P

The original Oldboy is one of my favourite films. I haven't seen Lee's version yet. I'm not against these types of remakes per se. I just object to to them when they offer nothing new. Opening it up to an English language audience isn't a good enough reason. The Departed, Scorsese's remake of Infernal Affairs, is how these thing should be handled. In fact, I actually think the former is the better film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

You're right. It was my first attempt at trolling and I didn't get the response I was hoping for. It's obviously harder than it looks. :P

The original Oldboy is one of my favourite films. I haven't seen Lee's version yet. I'm not against these types of remakes per se. I just object to to them when they offer nothing new. Opening it up to an English language audience isn't a good enough reason. The Departed, Scorsese's remake of Infernal Affairs, is how these thing should be handled. In fact, I actually think the former is the better film.

Lee's remake was savagely edited to pieces by studio execs I read somewhere. i've seen it and thought it was meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Or Brick Mansions!!!

not sure if being sarcastic or not but that is a remake of a French film called District 13

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

There was already and American Raid, but they called it Dredd.

Dredd was already written before The Raid was but it came out first because of different filming schedules

Lee's remake was savagely edited to pieces by studio execs I read somewhere. i've seen it and thought it was meh.

Well I was gonna check it out, but it sounds like there's a director's cut on the way, so I think I'll hold out for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Deceptively hard! ;)
    Opening it up to an English language audience isn't a good enough reason. The Departed, Scorsese's remake of Infernal Affairs, is how these thing should be handled. In fact, I actually think the former is the better film.

I agree. Saw Infernal Affairs before The Departed came out and thought it did not live up to the hype at all. Departed was a better film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Skerries wrote: »
    not sure if being sarcastic or not but that is a remake of a French film called District 13

District 13 & The Raid wouldn't be worlds apart. I wasn't being sarcastic though; didn't know Brick Mansions was a direct remake of the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Skerries wrote: »
    Dredd was already written before The Raid was but it came out first because of different filming schedules

Looks like sarcasm just ain't working in this thread.

Advertisement