Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Armageddon XIX

Options
  • 13-09-2014 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

The next Bridgestone Gym promotion of Pro Muay Thai 'ARMAGEDDON XIX' will take place on Saturday 27th September at The Red Cow Convention Centre, Naas Road, Dublin 22.

Doors open at 6.30pm, first fight at 7pm.

6D688U.jpg

Full line up to be announced. Tickets available from participating gyms.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

I thought I missed it! These thai events are so secret these days I think we need a group text set up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

JG009 wrote: »
    I thought I missed it! These thai events are so secret these days I think we need a group text set up :)

Haha you'd still need the password and for someone to vouch for you to get in. Here are a few details for the show...

Craig Coakley (Lionheart Dublin) vs Michael Kelliher (Cork Thai) - Full Thai Rules
    Fabio Viti (Chaiyo Dublin) vs Adrian Kirby (Spartan Thai Cork) - Full Thai Rules
    John Scott (Bridgestone Dublin) vs Razvan Piticas (Lionheart Dublin) - B Class
    Collie Mahon (Lionheart Dublin) vs Jordan Thompson (Spartan Thai Cork) - B Class
    Aaron Brown (Chaiyo Dublin) vs Mark O Mahony (Siam Warriors Cork) - B Class

Plus a hape more.

All fighters weighing in now, should be a cracker

Here is the full line up for tonight...

ARMAGEDDON LINE UP:

AMATUER;
    1. Dylan Maher (Courage) v Erlandus Paplauskas (309 Phuang Malai) 76kg Am.
    2. Salvador Maguire (Bridgestone) v Patrick Moughan (Force MT) 67kg Am.
    3. Conor Coyle (Vourage) v Matthew Kelly (Warriors) 64kg Am.
    4. Adrian Cowley (Spartan) v Paurig Ogaragh (309 Phuang Malai) 83kg Am.
    5. Robbie Moloney (Siam) v Micky O Donovan (Trials MA) 67kg Am.

PRO BOUTS;
    6. Michael Burke (Courage) v Turlough Walsh (Warriors) 64kg 'C'
    7. Terry Murphy (Bridgestone) v Michael Le Strange (Force MT) 71kg '71'
    8. Dan Scanlon (Dublin Thai) v Jay Kelly (Warrior) 64kg 'C'
    9. Anto Dorsn (Bridgestone) v Rob Corry (Warriors) 60kg 'C'
    10. Jordan Thompson (Spartan) v Collie Mahon (Lionheart) 63kg 'B'
    11. James Kilbey (Btidgestone) v Kelvin O Sullivan (Force MT) 61kg 'C'
    12. Brian Amos (Dublin Thai) v Jamie Moore (Warriors) 73kg 'C'
    13. John Scott (Bridgestone) v Razvan Piticas (Lionheart) 67kg 'B'
    14. Mark O Mahony (Siam) v Aaron Brown (Chaiyo) 70kg 'B'
    15. Michael Kelliher (Cork Thai) v Craig Coakley (Lionheart) 59kg 'A' Full Thai Rules
    16. Adrisn Kirbey (Spartan) v Fabio Viti (Chaiyo) 60kg 'A' Full Thai Rules.

Muay Eireann did a write up on it too for those who are interested

Well lads at the risk of offending a few folks on here have to say the standard of the thai boxing seems to have gone down hill big time. Fair play to all involved had a good night all the same but it really didn't compare to past events.

Ones worth talking about -

9. Anto Doran (Bridgestone) v Rob Corry (Warriors) 60kg 'C'
    Was this called a draw? Yer man gave antos left leg a good going over anyway.

10. Jordan Thompson (Spartan) v Collie Mahon (Lionheart) 63kg 'B'
    Thought this was a good one and Collie seemed like he had no steam left in parts but Jordan didnt take advantage of this, why?

13. John Scott (Bridgestone) v Razvan Piticas (Lionheart) 67kg 'B'
    They gave the win to John. That decision was a joke. Seriously?!?

15. Michael Kelliher (Cork Thai) v Craig Coakley (Lionheart) 59kg 'A' Full Thai Rules

Didnt think this was exactly fairly matched to start with. Michael got hit near the start and seemed quite dazed but made a good effort at coming back. When he got knocked again though, some folks from Craigs corner were up on the side of the ring before the chap even got his 10 count. Now in my opinion he was gone anyway but still wasnt good form at all from that corner.

I enjoyed all the fights I saw, we've been spoiled a bit with the Siam shows in Cork with Thai superstars and an all A class undercard so you can't really compare an all domestic show with that.

Anto Doran vs Rob Carry - You take a bit of a risk going for a leg stoppage. Leg kicks don't really score unless they show effect (moving the leg, causing opponent to show pain) so you can be well behind in points if the other fighter is scoring well while you work the leg.

I'd say Thompson just hid that he was tired better than Mahon. In Thailand there is as much emphasis on hiding that you're tired as there is on hiding pain, Thompson's coach, Seamus Coogan would be very aware of this and probably coaches with this in mind.

I didn't see the Scott vs Razvan fight myself.

Kelleher vs Coakley. Saw this one alright, and you're dead right, Coakley was way stronger than Kelleher. Kelleher was the more experienced fighter, he has a good few year of fighting A class under his belt and has gone the distance with the likes of Willie Murphy the current Irish champ. On paper that makes him a more than acceptable match for someone (Coakley) taking their first A Class fight. Coakley is a beast for 59kg though, I'd imagine he'd make plenty of perfectly decent fighters look bad, there is no predicting it sometimes.

Personally I think the standard of Thai in Ireland is steadily improving, it's a regular thing for people to be flying over and spending a month or two living and training in Thailand and just myself I think it's being reflected in domestic match ups. Burke vs Walsh for example, the awareness of scoring from both sides in that fight was really clear with both lads concentrating on the finer points of not reacting to shots, landing balanced and pushing for big scores right to the bell. Pleasure to watch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭chprt

Mr Green - saying it as he sees it since since 2009 :D

www.onlinemathsgrinds.ie

chprt wrote: »
    Mr Green - saying it as he sees it since since 2009 :D

Thats it paddy :) Musta been down to the instructors at the time ;)

JG009 wrote: »
    John Scott (Bridgestone) v Razvan Piticas (Lionheart) 67kg 'B'
    They gave the win to John. That decision was a joke. Seriously?!?

Just got vids of a few of these fights, was particularly interested in seeing this one because of the reports on here.

This was very very clearly a win for John Scott, I can understand it's easy to get swayed by an enthusiastic crowd but even being magnanimous and scoring the first round 10/10 with a big star for Scott he won the next 4 rounds. Strings of 6-7 completely unanswered knees in the clinch, getting behind him and kneeing in the back in rounds 3 and 4, no question on that decision.

Peetrik wrote: »
    Just got vids of a few of these fights, was particularly interested in seeing this one because of the reports on here.

This was very very clearly a win for John Scott, I can understand it's easy to get swayed by an enthusiastic crowd but even being magnanimous and scoring the first round 10/10 with a big star for Scott he won the next 4 rounds. Strings of 6-7 completely unanswered knees in the clinch, getting behind him and kneeing in the back in rounds 3 and 4, no question on that decision.

Whens the next judging course for me to attend ;)

I'd like a look at the vid if there is anywhere you want to PM a link to?
    I did see the knees up against the ropes and thought fair enough at least thats something but as far as I remember it didn't look like he was doing much, hitting him with singles only for a good part and not much coming forward but ill stop talking now until I see the video, its been almost a week :)

Yeah the Tony Myers judging course is well worth checking out as judging Thai is a minefield.

Vid was a private one on FB, I'll see if I can find a working link for you though

• Advertisement
Advertisement