Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dentistry (Repeat leaving cert)

Options
  • 13-09-2014 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all!

I was wondering how many times can you repeat your LC? This is my first time repeating the leaving due to the fact that I would like to do Dental Science.I am terrified by the fact that I might not be able to get the points required (My biology may let me down and Geography) but of course I am determined to get the points.I don't mind repeating again if I don't get the points.

Is it common for people interested in Science to have multiple leaving cents?
    I'm doing the following subjects:
    Maths:O Irish:O English:H Economics:H Chemistry:H Biology:H Business:H Geography:H Lcvp:C

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

Some girl in the exam times a few years ago was doing her LC for the 3rd time trying to get medicine :/ I'm guessing (I'm not sure) you can do it as many times as you like but if you repeat 2 or 3 times and still don't get the points maybe it's not for you :O good luck though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 KalurS

Wow she was determined! Thank you very much,I always wanted to be a dentist even when I was young! Just that I never got encouragement until I visited a dental practice and I knew since that moment I would like to be a dentist.Its fascinating! Thank you fir the kind words though!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

OP, why are you doing LCVP? I only ask because the points for Dentistry are in the 570 region so you need As across the board to get in. The highest points you can get from LCVP is 70 with a distinction, which is the same as a C1 in any other HL subject. Do you think you are going to get lower than a C1 in any of your HL subjects?

Given that you can't get the bonus points for maths, if you were to count LCVP with 5 other subjects you would have to get A1s in all 5 and a distinction in LCVP and that would still only bring you to 570 max.

UCC was 575 this year and TCD was 585 in Round 1, and 575 with random selection in Round 2.

If you were doing the LC for the first time, I would say certainly keep your options open points wise, but you are already doing 8 other subjects.

Also, why are you repeating Irish and Maths at OL? Did you pass them the first time?

I am doing lcvp simply because I did it in my original leaving cert and I might as well carry my projects over for leaving cert 2015 (sorry I should have clarified that) also the exam it self is quite simple (in my opinion).I am concerned with not getting an A1 in my biology.Indeed I am trying to keep my options open,also my guidance teacher advised me to do LCVP as it gives the candidate extra "brownie points" for your CV (i do not know how true this is though).
    Thanks for replying though! Any help at all is much appreciated!

I did pass Maths and irish but I am unsure if Trinity will allow me to repeat without having the both? Can you advise?

KalurS wrote: »
    I am doing lcvp simply because I did it in my original leaving cert and I might as well carry my projects over for leaving cert 2015 (sorry I should have clarified that) also the exam it self is quite simple (in my opinion).I am concerned with not getting an A1 in my biology.Indeed I am trying to keep my options open,also my guidance teacher advised me to do LCVP as it gives the candidate extra "brownie points" for your CV (i do not know how true this is though).
    Thanks for replying though! Any help at all is much appreciated!

I did pass Maths and irish but I am unsure if Trinity will allow me to repeat without having the both? Can you advise?

It'll still be on your CV because you did it last year. It's not for me to say what subjects you take, but if you are looking for an A1 in biology I would say that the time you will spend on LCVP this year would be better spent working on your biology grade. Particularly if you can get higher than a C1 in biology.

As for Trinity requirements, the same as any other college, you can only count points from one sitting of the LC, but you can count grade entry requirements from as many as you like.

Trinity entry requirments from qualifax:

Students may combine grades achieved in different sittings of their Leaving Certificate/Matriculation examinations for the purpose of satisfying minimum entry and/or course requirements, but not for the purposes of scoring. This is not permitted for Medicine – see note 3 on page 35.

Honestly, I don't recommend this often, although I do see it crop up in every thread going on repeating and taking up new subjects, but you would be better off dropping LCVP, maths and Irish and taking up a new HL subject and looking for the high grade in it. I rarely do it, but I would be suggesting ag science to you, if your school offers it, as you have biology and geography already. There is a project in it worth 25%, but there is also a considerable overlap with biology and geography. Approximately 40% of the paper is biology and there is a full question on soil also every year which is where your geography comes in.

• Advertisement

That is excellent I did not know that.I will drop Maths and Irish but i will keep LCVP.May I ask for advice about the Mature entry route? Also unfortunately not my current school does not offer Ag Science.I took up economics as an Extra subject.Would ag science be manageable to do as an extra subject in a year? If not can you recommend another subject? (Concluding that I got notes and grinds)

I really appreciate you assisting me on this! Thank you for taking the time! Cannot thank you enough

Again from qualifax:

-Mature students

All undergraduate courses in Trinity College are open to mature applicants. Mature student applicants are not required to satisfy the normal minimum entry requirements and are not required to meet competitive academic entry levels (e.g. Leaving Certificate points), but are considered in the first instance on the basis of how relevant their life, work and educational experiences are to the course(s) that they wish to pursue. In addition, all applicants should demonstrate an interest in and knowledge of their course choice(s).

In order to apply to Trinity College as a mature applicant you must:

be an EU applicant.

be at least 23 years of age on 1 January 2014.

submit a CAO application form to the Central Applications Office (CAO) by 1 February 2014.

submit a Trinity College Mature Student Supplementary Online Application Form (required for all CAO courses with the exception of nursing and midwifery) by 1 February 2014.

Late applications will not be considered from mature students.

CAO applications may be made online at www.cao.ie

The Trinity College Mature Student Supplementary Application Form should be submitted online. A full list of available courses can be accessed on www.tcd.ie/courses. Please select the appropriate course choice from the list and access the form by selecting the Mature Student Supplementary Application Form option. See www.tcd.ie/maturestudents/apply for full details on making an application.

Please note that a valid CAO number is required prior to submitting a Trinity College Mature Student Supplementary Online Application Form. Only three course options will be considered.

Applicants to all courses may be required to attend an interview. Interviews are usually held between mid-March and mid-May.

Certain courses may also require applicants to meet other assessment criteria. For information on additional assessments for specific courses please refer to the Mature Student Guidelines booklet at www.tcd.ie/maturestudents/apply, or request a printed copy from the Admissions Office, Trinity College, Dublin 2, e-mail admissions@tcd.ie, tel: +353 1 896 4444.

Trinity College will inform mature applicants of the outcome of their application before the end of May to allow successful applicants the maximum time possible to prepare for the start of the academic year 2014. Official offers to successful applicants are made through the CAO in early July. To secure your place you must return a formal acceptance notice to the CAO by the specified reply date.

An information seminar on preparing for college will take place for all successful mature applicants in July 2014. An orientation programme for all successful mature applicants will take place in September 2014.

For further information on studying in TCD as a mature student please contact the mature student officer, phone +353 1 896 1386, e-mail: mature.student.officer@tcd.ie or visit www.tcd.ie/maturestudents

Mature students information seminar
    A seminar providing advice and information on making an application to TCD for prospective mature students will take place on Thursday 9 January 2014 from 5 pm to 6 pm. This seminar will be repeated from 6 pm to 7 pm. Please visit the mature student website in December 2013 for more information: www.tcd.ie/maturestudents

That is excellent I did not know that.I will drop Maths and Irish but i will keep LCVP.May I ask for advice about the Mature entry route? Also unfortunately not my current school does not offer Ag Science.I took up economics as an Extra subject.Would ag science be manageable to do as an extra subject in a year? If not can you recommend another subject? (Concluding that I got notes and grinds)

Ag Science is manageable in one year, but you will need a teacher to sign off on the project as it is the teacher who grades the project, so you would probably have to contact a neighbouring school to see if they offer ag science and if the teacher would accommodate you.

You should probably go on to examinations.ie and have a look at a couple of past papers to get a feel for the subject and see what you already know.

Thank you for the link! And yes I would be able to get a tutor to sign the relevant documents regarding this subject in my old school.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Hello op .
    I am a first year dentistry student .
    The course is very interesting and challgenging enough .
    Most of us however scored more points than we needed to get in on our first go . It's very competitive .
    If you struggle with any of the sciences including physics (used in dental materials ) then I would advise against doing it. It is heavily science based.

Also lcvp is pretty pointless for dentistry / med.

• Advertisement

Thank you for your input.Indeed my best subject in school is Chemistry but I'm currently at a B2/B1 level with biology and also geography,that is my concern.I am doing LCVP to get into Dentistry but to do it simply because its a simple exam and it will not affect my study schedule.Thanks for the input though!

Ok realistically you will need 5as and 1 b .
    Good luck :)
    Go to ucc btw ;)

Love the winky face you made there haha! Thank you very much for the help though! Well done on getting into Dentistry by the way major achievement indeed.

Love the winky face you made there haha! Thank you very much for the help though! Well done on getting into Dentistry by the way major achievement indeed.

Ucc>trinity :P

Advertisement