Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JC VS LC

Options
  • 12-09-2014 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

I was just curious and want to see if anyone has any stories or experiences of change in results from standard in JC and the LC. I have heard of people getting perfect grades in the JC and going on to do not so well in the LC and vice versa. What are people's view on this? Share any experiences and stories!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I doubt many who get all HL As in the JC go on to do badly in the LC.

OL at JC wouldn't be the best of a foundation to go on and try take subjects at LC HL, but a solid HL JC (As and Bs with a couple of Cs) should make a 450+ LC possible for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

It's entirely dependent on the student. Some students get a *good* Junior Cert with say Bs and Cs, and in 5th/6th year, and really come into their own. They bottle down and focus on their work, and perhaps because the range of subjects has narrowed down their are happier with what they are studying.

E.g. A student who loves science can (depending on what their school offers) pick three sciences and maybe a language to meet entry requirements, and drop all other subjects. Same with someone who likes business subjects, technical/practical subjects (construction, DCG, engineering). It makes life a lot easier.

Some students may have been considered average at JC, but then when they get to drop some of the subjects they struggled at, and focus on the ones they are good at, they really come into their own.

Some students are really immature in JC and don't put in the work, and perhaps annoy a lot of teachers along the way. Then maturity hits them and they come into their own. One such student I teach in LC comes to mind. He would have been considered 'a right pup' in JC and generally a bit of a pain to teach, but has matured, has the head down, causes no trouble and I suspect will land one of the best set of results next year. The transformation has been fantastic to watch.

You have some students who get all As at Junior Cert, are intelligent but also always had a good work ethic and continue with that work ethic in LC and produce similar results.

Then you have students who got a rake of As in JC, and sit back in 5th/6th year and get a *good* LC, but gradewise not as good as JC. That last one is me by the way, but I got enough points to get me where I wanted to go, so it's not like it matters now.

Short answer, everyone is different.

Advertisement