Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy drains in rented accommodation

Options
  • 12-09-2014 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭

I've just moved into a new place and the drains are a bit dodgy.

I first noticed them odd when they started gurgling whenever water was running. For example, my boyfriends in the shower now and the kitchen sink is gurgling behind me. This I could live with.

I cleaned the bath the other day and then did the washing up. I leave the tap running as I clean the dishes. It was quite a big load. I returned into the bathroom and found in the bath, dirt, as if something had come up in the drain and then drained away slowly, leaving the dirt.

Finally, the one thing I can not live with, twice now there has been an almighty stink in the bathroom, I assume coming from the drains. They both occurred at roughly the same time (around 11). Smelt like sewage.

My question is, is this something that's easily fixed or should we get onto the landlord about it? Is it something that the landlord must fix or is it down to us?

Thanks!

Sorry if this is better suited for the Accommodation & Property thread. Feel free to move. Thanks mods :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

Sounds like a full septic tank needs emptying

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

It definitely sounds like a blockage somewhere.
    You don't say what type of property it is.
    This is a problem that your Landlord usually needs to sort out.
    However, if you are living in an apartment, then contact the management company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Thanks to ye both!

It's an old house - 150 years old converted into apartments (About 6 I think)

I'll give management a ring!

Advertisement