Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tourist Visa

• 12-09-2014 10:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

I sent an application for a tourist visa which was refused. I included copies as I wanted the originals returned. The originals not returned were 2 birth certs and a death cert. These certs took a lot of time and money to obtain. I sent e mails and letter to complain but no reply.
    I have contacted the Ombudsman and they say they cannot act for 6 weeks . I wonder is there any way to do this through the courts without a solicitor.
    The refusal letter suggests that the application was a total fraud it is like character defamation.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

rgossip30 wrote: »
    I sent an application for a tourist visa which was refused. I included copies as I wanted the originals returned. The originals not returned were 2 birth certs and a death cert. These certs took a lot of time and money to obtain. I sent e mails and letter to complain but no reply.
    Does it tell you to send originals? Does it tell you they will be returned?
    I have contacted the Ombudsman and they say they cannot act for 6 weeks . I wonder is there any way to do this through the courts without a solicitor.
    You could bring them to small claims court I suppose, but going via the ombudsman may be proper before doing so. In any event, you will need to consult the small print first.
    The refusal letter suggests that the application was a total fraud it is like character defamation.
    The letter was sent to you, therefore it cannot be defamation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Did it say anywhere in the application that forms would be returned to you? You need to read the terms and conditions of the application. Unless they advised you that documents would be return then there is very little else you can do.

The letter was sent to you so it is not defamation. The letter outlined to you the reason for refusal. If you feel these reasons are incorrect check if there is an appeal process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Original documents would normally be returned on refusal of an application. If you don't want to pay for a solicitor, you could contact a TD (or ask someone you know in Ireland to do so on your behalf).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    Original documents would normally be returned on refusal of an application.
    Would they return documents that they suspected of being fraudulent to the applicant, or would they send them to the relevant foreign authorities?

I'm not suggesting that OP sent fraudulent documents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

How long has it been?

• Advertisement

Would they return documents that they suspected of being fraudulent to the applicant, or would they send them to the relevant foreign authorities?

I'm not suggesting that OP sent fraudulent documents.

Normally they just send back all the paperwork. The only reason they might keep them is if you're still within time for an appeal, perhaps they are keeping them long enough to see if you lodge an appeal, but they shouldn't keep them any longer than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭rgossip30

The refusal letter was sent after an appeal application. The rule for return of documents states that you send copies of originals if you want them returned . I did this and listed the documents to be returned. There were documents returned but also some that I did not need returned and did not provide copies.
    These are the only documents not returned 2 birth certs and a death cert. I assume as a poster suggested they might check them for fraud . I assure you they are genuine the reason I am complaining.

I would definitely get a TD onto it, then. They have a special email address for immigration related questions and can also ask a Parliamentary Question for you.
    At least then you'll get an answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭rgossip30

I got copies returned today only NOT the originals with an apology . The application did state that originals would be returned . I had clearly marked copy on these so to avoid confusion. I wonder what's the reason to keep them ? They are genuine.

Advertisement