Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wasps !

Options
  • 12-09-2014 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

I have a wasp hive under the pelmet/guttering at the rear of my house.
    hundreds of them flying about.
    im afraid of them stinging the children in the next few weeks.

what is the best thing to get rid of them or will they just die, go away, never return !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Get a professional out would be my advise! We had one in the roof of our kitchen and had to get somebody out to get rid of them - they were everywhere! There was a nest in the ground in our park and you'd see the wasps coming in and out well into the winter and new year so I wouldn't wait - especially after being stung by one a few weeks ago. It was very painful at the time and bruised/tender for a couple of days! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

tk123 wrote: »
    Get a professional out would be my advise! We had one in the roof of our kitchen and had to get somebody out to get rid of them - they were everywhere! There was a nest in the ground in our park and you'd see the wasps coming in and out well into the winter and new year so I wouldn't wait - especially after being stung by one a few weeks ago. It was very painful at the time and bruised/tender for a couple of days! :mad:

Can I just ask, how painful, on a scale of 1-10? I am trying to diminish my irrational fear of being stung.

Honestly it was bad - maybe a 6 or 7!! I'm a blood donor so have no problems with needles and (I think) have a fairly high pain threshold! I got stung years ago and it was like a pin prick so 0 on the scale but this was agony!!! I'd parked with the back of the car in front of tress in work. Opened the boot to grab my bag and felt something and assumed a twig had scraped me, saw it was a wasp and shook it off. The pain then got worse and maybe 3-4 hours later the initial stinging wore off and the swelling had gone down. It got me a good few times - my hand was bruised and you could see all the pin holes where it stung me. That was a friday and by the sunday evening I couldn't feel it any more. After that if we ever have a nest again I wouldn't take a chance. I can understand now why the dogs are in a bundle if they get stung!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

sadie06 wrote: »
    Can I just ask, how painful, on a scale of 1-10? I am trying to diminish my irrational fear of being stung.

Theirs a pain scale for stings/bites, some fella let all sorts sting him for years. Id link but im on phone.

Think nose was the worst place to get stung.

I got stung on the back of the leg out running last year and the year before, when they were dying off, pretty painful for a split second now, a 5 maybe. I let a roar, lol.

Honestly it was bad - maybe a 6 or 7!! I'm a blood donor so have no problems with needles and (I think) have a fairly high pain threshold! I got stung years ago and it was like a pin prick so 0 on the scale but this was agony!!! I'd parked with the back of the car in front of tress in work. Opened the boot to grab my bag and felt something and assumed a twig had scraped me, saw it was a wasp and shook it off. The pain then got worse and maybe 3-4 hours later the initial stinging wore off and the swelling had gone down. It got me a good few times - my hand was bruised and you could see all the pin holes where it stung me. That was a friday and by the sunday evening I couldn't feel it any more. After that if we ever have a nest again I wouldn't take a chance. I can understand now why the dogs are in a bundle if they get stung!
    lol, hadnt seen your post. Our numbers are similar.

Took near a week for the sting spot to go back to normal for me, rose up the size of a euro and maybe another week for the itching to go.

Not messing, 2 weeks both times. Definitely depends where they get ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭blingrhino

whats a professional ? rent o kill ?bee keeper?

blingrhino wrote: »
    whats a professional ? rent o kill ?bee keeper?

A professional exterminator. AFAIK a bee keeper is only interested in saving bees?

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

A professional exterminator. AFAIK a bee keeper is only interested in saving bees?

And preferably honey bees at that! :)

Wasps nests however have a life cycle that comes to an end very soon and maybe you could just hold out. Once the weather starts to properly turn it won't be long before the nest is abandoned.

Towards the Autumn they stop raising new worker wasps and raise new queen wasps instead... These will eventually all go off individually and look for places to hibernate over the winter before each one establishes a new colony next year. the worker wasps die off in the mean time and the nest will be abandoned. Generally.

The only problem is that at this time of year, with no larvae to raise, wasps stop looking for protein (aphids, etc.) and start looking more for sugar... so you're more likely to cross paths with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Thanks for the replies guys!

Apparently the wasps (just like the bees) have been having a hard time of it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2748653/Why-learn-love-WASPS-They-ve-vanished-summer-But-s-shouldn-t-celebrate-writes-STEVE-BACKSHALL.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Apologies for reopening a zombie thread

Anyway, I have a wasp's hive in the ivy at the back of my house. The wasps appear to have 'gone away' - haven't seen any activity for at least two weeks. Can I assume that the Queen(s) have gone off somewhere to hibernate, or should I leave it a bit longer before I dispose of the hive?

I had a nasty experience earlier this summer, while trimming the ivy. I disturbed the hive ....didn't realise that it was there. Ended up with multiple stings and a badly swollen hand....and half-trimmed ivy.

Any advice appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Condo131 wrote: »

Anyway, I have a wasp's hive in the ivy at the back of my house. The wasps appear to have 'gone away' - haven't seen any activity for at least two weeks. Can I assume that the Queen(s) have gone off somewhere to hibernate, or should I leave it a bit longer before I dispose of the hive?

I had a nasty experience earlier this summer, while trimming the ivy. I disturbed the hive ....didn't realise that it was there. Ended up with multiple stings and a badly swollen hand....and half-trimmed ivy.

Any advice appreciated.

They don't reuse old hives so removing it is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Condo131 wrote: »

Any advice appreciated.

I have a hive too I've left alone for the summer. Checked a week ago and assumed they were all gone but when I hit the fencing out a few flew. I thought the queen stayed on until spring and then left to create a new nest? I'm going to leave it another week and check again and then I'm going to break the nest if I can, but it's at the bottom of a compost heap! I sympathise on the stings, got some of those too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

They don't reuse old hives so removing it is pointless.
    When I trim back the ivy, it will be clearly visible - not a 'feature' that I particularly want to be looking at. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Pest control threads are not permitted here any more, maybe try the diy forum, they appear there sometimes.

Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement