Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 week marathon plan - post injury

Options
  • 11-09-2014 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Looking for some guidance on ramping training up for DCM after recovering from ITBS. Ran Waterford marathon earlier this year, then fully trained for Longford (60K (10, 8, 10, 32) in peak week), but IT band started to act up the week before, so decided against it. Off the road since then (4 weeks), but maintained aerobic fitness on the bike, covering 15K, 3 days a week with 1 longer ride (1.5 hours) at the weekends. Looking now at DCM, and wondering if anyone has any suggestions in terms of ramping up my training from a current base of zero. I realise I won't be putting in a pb, but I'm set on running it. Just not sure if I should be trying to get a couple of 20 milers in between now and then or whether I should just be conservative with the long runs and midweek mileage. Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

Ramping up the mileage quickly after coming back from an injury will only lead to a recurrence of the injury or a different problem. Unless this is your last chance to run DCM forget about doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

do Clonakilty in December.......give yourself a few extra weeks to do it right....DCM 15...

from my own experience ITB strain happens at very specific times for very specific reasons....it took me a long time to figure out the simple cure ands its not therapy!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Macaonbhuit

Thanks folks. Looks like Connemara for me and maybe the clotarf half in November. Clonakilty in 2015 though. Looks gr8

Advertisement